1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with the common problem of warped rotors.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by svrider0021, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    svrider0021

svrider0021 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seaton
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Limited
    I would like to know if anyone has fixed the problem of toyota trucks constantly warping rotors? I have known that this is a common problem of toyota trucks like mine, (2001 tacoma doublecab), and I have already replaced the rotors and brake pads three times over the last 4 years. It usually takes about a week or two for my new rotors to warp and it stays that way till I get sick and tired of it and replace them. Well, Im sick and tired of them again and would like a permanent fix. Money is of no concern for this project, besides of course, buying a new vehicle. Please help me out fixing this common problem of warping rotors once and for all. Thanks.

2. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    winL

winL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Leer 100R Cap, OEM Hood Protector, Bilstein 5100's @0, Wheeler's 3leaf AAL no TSB, Replaced oem OL, OME 885, Pioneer AVIC-D2
    a week or two?! that's insane. My brembos are doing excellent after 5000 miles.

3. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I think the most important thing is how you break them in.

4. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    Torque wrench...torque lugs to 85ft/lbs

5. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Are your rear brakes adjusted properly? Most warped rotors come from them being the only stopping force because the rears aren't doing anything.

6. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
  7. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Are you doing a lot of down hill braking? Never heard of this. What state do you live in?

8. Jul 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    CPTDJ2

CPTDJ2 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    As mentioned above, check to make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted and HAND torque lugnuts to spec. (impact guns will usually make the nuts way too tight). What brands of pads and rotors have you tried?

9. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    svrider0021

Member:
    First Name:
    Seaton
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Limited
    Ok. Torque nuts to 85ft/pds, and check back brakes. I will do the rear brakes first then. Any suggestions on brands for quality rotors and brakes? I live in Georgia so we do have hills, but nothing out of the norm. like The Rockies or anything. Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

10. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I use Toyota pads. Got 84k on my 08 with zero issues and I drive very aggressive.

Get new springs for the rear and drum pads. New springs are cheap and insure you have proper braking. Also rear drums should be re-surfaced

11. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    My 1995 is still braking good on O.E pads and rotors. Bought the truck almost 2 years ago(maybe brakes had been changed with factory ones but I checked and they were still good).

12. Jul 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) Where are you buying your rotors ? I would not get the factory rotors and I would get a well known name. It could be that the rotors that you are getting are not well made and are causing your problem. You may want to check your front calipers also, and the mounting hardware that goes with the calipers. Your choice of pad material may be affecting the rotors also, if the pad material is too aggressive to the rotor. Also if you have not changed the flexible hoses that go to the calipers, they may be holding pressure on the brakes and keeping the brakes on longer than you need them to hold. If you can answer some of these questions, your answers will guide us to helping you. Thanks, Good Luck.

13. Jul 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    svrider0021

Member:
    First Name:
    Seaton
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Limited
    I think I am getting them from advanced auto. I will buy a set of rotors and a set of brake pads. i cant remember the brand. I have 205000 miles on my truck right now and have never replaced my brake caliper hoses, so if you think that could lead to it then I will replace them as well. Any suggestions on brands for rotors and calipers?

14. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    i can give you some ideas,
    I never use most of the standard stuff at the nationwide auto stores... its made so cheap.
    It had been awhile since I did alot of repair work (health problems) but a few months ago I put on a new set of rotors and pads on a buddies newer xterra and I got the rayspestos professional line parts, from rockauto, and i will say I was very impressed with the quality in the parts. and i was proud of myself because it worked out very well. to me and its posted everywhere the first 20 miles or first full day of braking is so critical of getting everything to seat well, ( I printed of a note in red letters and taped it to the sun visor of her nissan) she replied with the finger.. but it is one important step. and that might not be it, all it takes is one wrong "slam on the brakes and make'em squeel" to warp rotors. hope this can help.
    to be honest and I have ALWAYS used Mooge parts, but soon i am going to replace both inner and outer tie rods and then new ball joints and i am going to give rayspestos professional line a try.. and it has a great warranty.

15. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Is all about how hard you are on the brakes. Don't drag them down hills. Gear down. Do NOT "resurface" rotors. This does nothing. Of they're warped they're done for. They need to be replaced.

16. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    Normally the rotors do not get warped it is the brake pad residue that is melted to the rotor that you are feeling. Do a google search if you don't believe me. Also you need to make sure the caliper pistons are working correctly. Break in the pads as recommended by the factory and don't use cheap pads.

17. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Hold My Beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Virginia
    The most common cause of warping is the driving style. Dont break too late and don't pump them, try to keep a constant easy pressure on them when breaking.

18. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I replaced my factory pads with Hawk pads at 50k miles, had the factory rotors resurfaced, replaced my rubber brakelines with goodridge stainless braided lines, and bled my brakes with valvoline dot 3/4 synthetic fluid. I was hoping to get away with not having to buy new rotors, but they are warped now. Probably started within the first 2k miles of doing the brake job. Now that I'm looking to get new rotors I see that everyone recomends certain brands. In the past I have had good expiriences with the Duralast Gold line, Wagner, and Raybestos. Is there any other recomendations anyone has that the OP, myself, and others might consider?

19. Jul 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Oh and to the OP, welcome to the T-Dub

20. Jul 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    svrider0021

Member:
    First Name:
    Seaton
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Limited
    Ok, looks like I will get the rear drums replaced. Then change out my front hoses for goodridge SS lines, Raysbestos Professional grade rotors and ceramic pads, as well as putting in new brake fluid. I will then be crossing my fingers for a few weeks in hopes that this will be the end of my dash and steering wheel shaking into a million pieces. Thanks for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top