Notices

Tires going bad or something else???

Old 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
The Lone Wolf of TW!
Ninja is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
Ninja's Tacoma Gallery
Tires going bad or something else???

For the last couple of days when driving, especially on rutted roads, my truck has had this floating and somewhat wobbling feeling. I had the alignment checked, while the camber was out of spec(negative) everything else was fine and nothing was noted on the suspension....no leaks or anything loose. One good roads it drive okay, but on freeways at high speed (65+) still somewhat have this feeling.

My first guess is that the tires may be going bad, not unusual especially during the blazing Arizona summer, but if anybody has other things to check or suspect....I'm all ears.

TIA for any help.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
how old are your struts/shocks? if you've got a lot of mileage on them, it might be on its way out and it's losing the ability to dampen on rough roads.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
The Lone Wolf of TW!

Ninja's Tacoma Gallery
The rears were replaced 6 months ago and was planning to replace the fronts as well....they are OE with 160k on them.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
The rears were replaced 6 months ago and was planning to replace the fronts as well....they are OE with 160k on them.

Thanks.
Do this first. You can also play with air pressures to see if the tires like more or less pressure.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Why am I thinking bearings, ball joints or idler arm?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
When you say "floating" feeling, do you mean it acts like it wants to wander around the lane? Maybe a little more detail here. A lot of stuff can cause that feeling. Overinflated tires, soft suspension, tie rods, linkage...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
The Lone Wolf of TW!

Ninja's Tacoma Gallery
I checked the wheel bearings....no play in the wheels, and it steers fine with normal amount of play for a 1st gen.
The tires have the same amount of psi I always run at(32 psi).

As for the "floating" feeling, when on a freeway at 65+ it doesn't wander but I just do feel like it's gliding and not riding on the road. On regular streets on good roads it's okay, but bad roads it takes an effort to maintain it straight over ruts, bumps and potholes.

...and that avatar.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
i'm going to say that the front struts are totally worn out. if the struts cannot rebound and dampen quick enough, it will make the truck wander around. get them replace and you'll probably notice a big improvement.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
i'm going to say that the front struts are totally worn out. if the struts cannot rebound and dampen quick enough, it will make the truck wander around. get them replace and you'll probably notice a big improvement.
This^^ There is an old test for bad struts and shocks grab the Front bumper and yank it up and down hard a few times if you let go and the truck is still moving up and down ie porposing see above :}

Cypher
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
I checked the wheel bearings....no play in the wheels, and it steers fine with normal amount of play for a 1st gen.
The tires have the same amount of psi I always run at(32 psi).

As for the "floating" feeling, when on a freeway at 65+ it doesn't wander but I just do feel like it's gliding and not riding on the road. On regular streets on good roads it's okay, but bad roads it takes an effort to maintain it straight over ruts, bumps and potholes.

...and that avatar.
What do you consider normal? There shouldn't be ANY play in the bearings or tie rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
I agree here. It does sound more like strut issues. most of the "wandering, floating" feelings tend to be in the front. This is more supported by the comment that you replaced the rears, but not the fronts, and you are at 180k miles.