Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing rear wheel hub assembly? (Sheared off 2 lug bolts)

Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
pmiller613 is on a distinguished road
Name: PJ
pmiller613's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing rear wheel hub assembly? (Sheared off 2 lug bolts)

Removing the rear tire today to replace and I sheared/twisted off two (of the 6) lug bolts. So will I need to replace the entire bearing assembly (including lug bolts, as that has been my easiest road on other vehicles in the past)? How difficult to replace only lug studs? A quick search of chain parts stores do not seem to sell these anymore, only the bearing by itself. Any help to point me in the easiest DIY direction is appreciated. I suppose I could hunt junk yards, but would prefer new parts if feasible. (ETA->) I see lug studs are readily available by themselves... just how difficult and how to remove on a '96 with considerable rust and sit time with prior owner.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming you had rear drum brakes like me .
What I did was run to my local toyo/lexus part store tell them I needed one new stud for the rear wheel.They kindly gave them to me for free. Got home took off the tire jacked it up,put jack stands. Removed the drum (make sure you do not have the parking brake on) .Cleaned everything with brake cleaner,sprayed down the broken stud with liquid wrench then banged it out with a rubber mallet. Had to use my blow torch for a couple secs since it was in there good. Once it was out I put the new one in,banged it in as much as possible. Marked the top of the new stud with a white sharpie,put the drum back,wheel back . Then tighten back on the wheel ,made sure to tighten the marked one last and it seated the stud back. Please note I torque my wheel lugnuts to toyota specs but went over when doing the replacement stud.
Hope this helps and you can understand.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
GLD01 will become famous soon enough
Name: Jamie
GLD01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
...I torque my wheel lugnuts to toyota specs...
I'm glad I'm not the only overly-retentive owner that does this! I've had folks chuckle at me for being so particular. I probably wouldn't sleep well if I didn't do things right.

Good walk through for what should be an easy fix. Good luck, OP.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
here's a good youtube video showing how it's done, even tho this video shows the front. the same principle applies for the rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9te2iFH3E
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced one on my 01. It is no big deal to replace, although i made sure the broken stud was at the 1:00 clock postition as not to have anything in the way. Knock out the broken one and replace with new one and use either a stack of washers or a large nut to seat it. I don't know if it made a diffrence but i put the wheel stud in the freezer overnight
Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLD01 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only overly-retentive owner that does this! I've had folks chuckle at me for being so particular. I probably wouldn't sleep well if I didn't do things right.

Good walk through for what should be an easy fix. Good luck, OP.
I shan't chuckle at you, ser... as I am now a believer. I will be torquing the other 18 on the rest of the truck to spec for sure. Obviously over-torqued when i last removed the wheel about 9 months ago. Thanks to everyone for the tips... as usual, I'm sure getting the old parts off my rusty Taco will be the challenge as opposed to installing the new ones. (ETA spelling)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Any body have the proper size for the rear lug studs? '96 4x4 2.7 4cyl (rear drums)... I'm getting lots of different info on the length...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller613 View Post
Any body have the proper size for the rear lug studs? '96 4x4 2.7 4cyl (rear drums)... I'm getting lots of different info on the length...
A toyota parts counter should be able to tell you exactly what you need if you give them your VIN so that they can look up your tacos info