1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing rear wheel hub assembly? (Sheared off 2 lug bolts)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pmiller613, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    pmiller613

pmiller613 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    KY, USA
    Vehicle:
    Red 96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L w/50k Miles
    Removing the rear tire today to replace and I sheared/twisted off two (of the 6) lug bolts. So will I need to replace the entire bearing assembly (including lug bolts, as that has been my easiest road on other vehicles in the past)? How difficult to replace only lug studs? A quick search of chain parts stores do not seem to sell these anymore, only the bearing by itself. Any help to point me in the easiest DIY direction is appreciated. I suppose I could hunt junk yards, but would prefer new parts if feasible. (ETA->) I see lug studs are readily available by themselves... just how difficult and how to remove on a '96 with considerable rust and sit time with prior owner.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    I'm assuming you had rear drum brakes like me .
    What I did was run to my local toyo/lexus part store tell them I needed one new stud for the rear wheel.They kindly gave them to me for free. Got home took off the tire jacked it up,put jack stands. Removed the drum (make sure you do not have the parking brake on) .Cleaned everything with brake cleaner,sprayed down the broken stud with liquid wrench then banged it out with a rubber mallet. Had to use my blow torch for a couple secs since it was in there good. Once it was out I put the new one in,banged it in as much as possible. Marked the top of the new stud with a white sharpie,put the drum back,wheel back . Then tighten back on the wheel ,made sure to tighten the marked one last and it seated the stud back. Please note I torque my wheel lugnuts to toyota specs but went over when doing the replacement stud.
    Hope this helps and you can understand.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    GLD01

GLD01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Toytec lift coils w/Bilstein 5100's; OME Dakars w/Bilstein 5100's; Camburg UCA's; Gray wire mod; Deck plate mod; Cooper Zeon LTZ 265/75 R16 tires
    I'm glad I'm not the only overly-retentive owner that does this! I've had folks chuckle at me for being so particular. I probably wouldn't sleep well if I didn't do things right.

Good walk through for what should be an easy fix. Good luck, OP.

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  5. Jul 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    I just replaced one on my 01. It is no big deal to replace, although i made sure the broken stud was at the 1:00 clock postition as not to have anything in the way. Knock out the broken one and replace with new one and use either a stack of washers or a large nut to seat it. I don't know if it made a diffrence but i put the wheel stud in the freezer overnight

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    pmiller613

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    KY, USA
    Vehicle:
    I shan't chuckle at you, ser... as I am now a believer. I will be torquing the other 18 on the rest of the truck to spec for sure. Obviously over-torqued when i last removed the wheel about 9 months ago. Thanks to everyone for the tips... as usual, I'm sure getting the old parts off my rusty Taco will be the challenge as opposed to installing the new ones. (ETA spelling)

7. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    pmiller613

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    KY, USA
    Vehicle:
    Any body have the proper size for the rear lug studs? '96 4x4 2.7 4cyl (rear drums)... I'm getting lots of different info on the length...

8. Jul 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    A toyota parts counter should be able to tell you exactly what you need if you give them your VIN so that they can look up your tacos info

Products Discussed in

To Top