1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Think I just blew a head gasket

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hc243102, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    hc243102

hc243102 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma
    Truck drove fine yesterday, parked it overnight, started it to go to work today and it died immediately after starting (wierd) started it again and it ran like shit. Thought maybe I got some bad gas yesterday so I drove a couple blocks and the engine smoothed out. Noticed at a stop sign white smoke coming from exhaust, pulled over checked oil / antifreeze (both were fine) drove it back home and parked it. Only had it running for about 10 mins and traveled a total of 4 blocks, temp guage was fine, no warning lights on dash were on. Is there anything other than a blown head gasket that would cause this? Is there anyway I could know for sure its the head gasket? Oh yeah and how big of a bitch is it to change one of these? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Jul 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    Mexicant

Mexicant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Crawlerado
    Vehicle:
    Braap
    I had a small leak in mine for almost a year before it really blew and mixed the oil and coolant. It would have an odd stumble for 10-15 seconds when starting up then smooth like normal. The coolant overflow tank would need to be filled up once a month or so. Then one day it wouldn't start, almost like it was hydrolocked or something. When it finally cranked had the white smoke pouring out of the tail pipe. Here's the thread I looked at to get myself psyched about replacing the headgasket. It's really not that bad to do.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/148524-blown-head-gasket-h-g-replacement-thread.html

3. Jul 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    hc243102

hc243102 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma
    Whats the best FSM? I think its finally time to buy one.

4. Jul 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Blackcat10

Blackcat10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    White smoke out exhaust and running bad=Head Gasket or crack in head

Products Discussed in

To Top