1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did Big O screw up my truck???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Squeaky Penguin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin [OP] Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Thursday I took my truck into Big O to get an alignment after installing 5100's last weekend. They were unable to complete the alignment telling me that the front drivers side LCA/alignment bolt was rused into the bushing and they could not move it. So yesterday while leaving to work I noticed a new and quite pronounced clunk when turning sharply out of my driveway. Was planning on making a 150 mile drive last night, but luckily I crawled under it and noticed this before I left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mE4tr6nhhg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the passenger side rear alignment bolt loose. Opposite corner from the one they had trouble with. To me it looks like they didn't tighten it at all. Look at the marring on the tabs from nut spinning around.

So a few questions:
    -With the tabs in that condition, will my truck even be able to keep a solid alignment?

-Any suggestions for dealing with Big O?

-What would be the correct way to get this fixed?

Thanks in advance, hoping I can get this figured out realatively quickly as I don't feel safe driving the truck in its current condition. I know tighting it will mess up the alignment even more, and being they can't do an alignment in the first place I'm really lost as to a place to start.

2. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    not safe to drive with the bolts loose like that. and the clunk you heard was probably the control on moving all over the place. you can tighten the bolts and drive it somewhere and get an alignment. if they are rusted together the parts from toyota are about 65 bucks. i had to replace mine little bit of a pain but not to bad. do not drive it with those bolts loose

3. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah your alignment won't stay the same with that.

My opinion is that you should contact Big 0 corporate directly. They likely will have the store manager contact you from there. At least corporate will be aware of the situation and might pressure the individual store/owner. I'd either have them pay toyota to repair or see what they propose, possibly pay to have the t/c gussets welded on.

I'd say if you can get reinforcing tabs like TC makes for 2nd gens I'd do that. If the cams are seized that needs to be addressed separately.

I had a terrible experience with my local Big 0 and suffice it to say I will NEVER return, and it wasn't even to the level that they screwed up here with you.

4. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Me Likey TRD

Me Likey TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Toytec Ultimate w/Dakar leaf packs, Michilin 265/75/16 LTX AT2, FJ Trail Team replica wheels, Access Ltd bed cover, Katzkin leather, Brute Force rear bumper, Relentless Fab front bumper, Beefed sliders
    Sounds like your local Big O lacks experience and ability.

Find an alignment shop that works on a lot of 4x4s and get parts replaced if needed.

If you have to drive it to a shop - go sloooooow. ;)

Unfortunately too many shops out there don't know what they doing.

5. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Just wondering about what would have happened if that would have popped out going down the road at 65....

6. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Because you can hire any dick off the street..most new alignment machines show you step by step how to do it, most even tell you the tools you need to do it

7. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Bad things all of which would involve you wrecking your vehicle and possibaly not walking away or others that you hit when it let loose.

Cypher

8. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I wouldn't be too concerned about it shearing the bolt personally but it's definitely not good nor would I continue to drive on it knowing now. Just my opinion.

9. Jul 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Nearest Toyota dealer is 70 miles away. I have an appointment at the local Big O 8AM monday morning to show them their screw up. I really don't want the people that caused this trying to fix it. Looks like I'll be in for some towing and some time without my truck.

10. Jul 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    661prerunner

661prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    FabTech C/Os, Solo tubular UCAs (on order)Solo spindles(not installed) Glassworks front and rear, made by me Rocksliders, Premier Navi,
    I've had a similar problem at Firestone working on my truck in Florida. And they did half the work right and half of it wrong. They didn't even swap a part like they wrest suppose to. But long story short I got a full refund after moving back to California . Even for the stuff they got right was refunded.

But they also wanted to fix the problem and I said if they couldn't do it right the first time. Why would the get it right the second.

GL with solving your issue. I blows when a corporation f's up like that. You have to be on the phone awhile (at least I did)

11. Jul 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    They didn't charge me anything because they were unable to accomplish anything, but I still want my truck in the condition it was in before I took it in.

What would be the correct way to fix those tabs? Want to know as much as I can before I go in ther tomorrow.

12. Jul 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    PMd ya back

13. Jul 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    dtmccray

dtmccray Well-Known Member

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    d60 3link sas, bumpers, sliders, arb twin on board air comp w/11gal air tank,38.5/14.5r15 tsl sx swampers, rock 8 beadlocks, detroit rear, trutrac front.
    I could be wrong but it looks to me like they were trying to loosen the wrong side of that bolt. If I'm not mistaken you loosen it from the other side(the actual bolt side not the nut side) then rotate the nut side in the pics to adjust allignment. Somebody chime in on this one. I dont think all the scarring on those tabs could happen driving it looks like they were spinning that side around.

14. Jul 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    you either have to bend the tabs back and run a bead of welds down the back or the better fix http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_taco.php

its a common problem I would not bother with big O they will just fuck it up more

15. Jul 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    oh and the alignment cam is siezed in the bushing too, some have had luck getting them out but some including myself have cut and replaced them, right now your alignment changes as your suspension cycles

16. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Ok,

So today they replaced both the bushing and the bolt on that bad one. Kind of surprised they did that much. Everything seems pretty solid, but I still question those tabs. I will be taking it to my mechanic next week to check on those tabs and do whatever is needed to get it properly aligned.

Thanks everyone for the help. Its was nice to know exactly what was going on when I went in there.

Brett

Products Discussed in

To Top