Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dirt Bike trailer hitch carrier

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Dirt Bike trailer hitch carrier

I've been looking into ways I can haul mine and my buddies dirt bikes on my tacoma. I have a shell and don't want to take it off in order to do this. I think I'm left with 2 options;
1) tow a trailer - I'd rather not to because I have limited space to park trailer, and I can only travel 55mph legally.

2) trailer hitch carrier - http://www.discountramps.com/double-...le-carrier.htm

I'm planning to lift my truck in the very near future, with that in mind with option 2, what would be my best option? I've done a fair amount of research, I was originally planning on an OME lift kit, but thought maybe someone who's done this could chime in.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
2 bikes on a single hitch carrier will exceed the tongue weight on the factory... and any aftermarket hitch that I'm aware of.

I seriously don't know why they make those things for dual bikes and quads. The lever moment of the 2nd rail is too far away from the hitch and multiplies the weight to far above the design limits.

One bike? You're okay but heavy.
Two bikes? Get a proper trailer.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do that at all. Large risk of something very bad happening.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ya... couple of 50s or 80s for the kids or puttering around camp, maybe, but a 125 or larger is pushing 250 pounds wet (over 250 for models with e-start and lights).

Just the two bikes blows tongue weight without factoring in the angle.

Single bike? Ya... I see that all the time and even built my own.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Even with a single bike, if you hit a large bump that alone could break something.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
whereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant future

Name: Don
whereismymind's Tacoma Gallery
I had that same double hitch mount one when I had my FJ Cruiser. With my wife's TTR125 and my 250 it was just under 500lbs. Most of the time I had one of the rails removed and only hauled my bike with it. Like others are saying it would be way too much weight to haul 2 full size bikes with it.

If you do get one use ratchet straps and remember to strap the rear tire down. I would by that same model again. It was very well made. Got mine off of an eBay store I think for $180.

OME is designed to handle heavier weight, but I would look into an airbag system. That might help keep from wearing out your suspension as fast.

Next I bought one of the Harbor Freight fold up trailers. That way it could still be stored in my garage.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you guys out on the tongue weight factor on a stock hitch (class II i believe), I just sold my hitch to install my All-Pro rear bumper and was looking at Class III trailer hitches (500lb. tongue weight limit). Bikes weigh about 253 lbs. each so that + the carrier would exceed tongue weight. Guess I'm going with a trailer.

I've seen a few people rig up they're trailers for hauling gear and stuff off-roading, Might have to look into that more.

Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighliving View Post
I hear you guys out on the tongue weight factor on a stock hitch (class II i believe), I just sold my hitch to install my All-Pro rear bumper and was looking at Class III trailer hitches (500lb. tongue weight limit). Bikes weigh about 253 lbs. each so that + the carrier would exceed tongue weight. Guess I'm going with a trailer.
And even if the bikes were only 150lbs each, you still have the lever moment.

150lbs==150lbs==[RCV]

Does not equal

300lbs==[RCV]

And depending on how long "==" is, even

300lbs==[RCV]
Just might exceed
500lbs
[RCV]

Which is what the hitch was designed for.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereismymind View Post
I had that same double hitch mount one when I had my FJ Cruiser. With my wife's TTR125 and my 250 it was just under 500lbs. Most of the time I had one of the rails removed and only hauled my bike with it. Like others are saying it would be way too much weight to haul 2 full size bikes with it.

If you do get one use ratchet straps and remember to strap the rear tire down. I would by that same model again. It was very well made. Got mine off of an eBay store I think for $180.

OME is designed to handle heavier weight, but I would look into an airbag system. That might help keep from wearing out your suspension as fast.

Next I bought one of the Harbor Freight fold up trailers. That way it could still be stored in my garage.

I also have a H/F fold up ( 4:80 X 8 Wheels ) that I would like to use in case of an emergency to haul my bike which I figure weights 700lbs loaded with fuel and stuff, but feel that the trailer is to flimsy ( it flexes to much ) then there's the task of actually getting the bike on the trailer, as the approach is steep.

I like your set up if it works for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I also have a H/F fold up ( 4:80 X 8 Wheels ) that I would like to use in case of an emergency to haul my bike which I figure weights 700lbs loaded with fuel and stuff, but feel that the trailer is to flimsy ( it flexes to much ) then there's the task of actually getting the bike on the trailer, as the approach is steep.

Use a ramp to load the bikes... Any way you look at it, loading a bike on to a low trailer like that with open sides is a LOT easier than getting into the bed of a truck.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
whereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant futurewhereismymind has a brilliant future

Name: Don
whereismymind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post

I used a ramp which is hanging off the back in the picture. After adding some bolts to the tongue of trailer the ramp was mounted with 2 wing nuts. The HF trailer does flex. To help correct it I used bolts instead of the hitch pins were the tongue would fold. I also bolted that long grey steel bar across the front. It provided tie down points that were more spread out and cut the flex way down. It actually towed really well.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #13
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Go with the harbor freight fold up trailer if your worried about space, they are nice for what you want. Or rig up a sickass offroad trailer, it will just take up more room.

I built my own trailer when I was a sophomore in highschool, all by myself.
It's dirty in this pic, had been sitting a year or so outside.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
The trailer needs to tilt for loading, using a ramp with my bike will high center, on the bed of the trailer, before the rear wheel gets on the trailer. A ramp is fine for a dirt bike they sit a lot higher.