Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carrying Dirtbikes....

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
TRDreamin is on a distinguished road

TRDreamin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRDreamin
Carrying Dirtbikes....

Just curious, how well, if at all, will 2 dirtbikes fit in the back of my truck? Me and my friend and thinking about getting some pending they fit in the back.... I have an 04' DoubleCab Prerunner.

Thanks, Eliot
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I carryed (wow sp?) .... carried? a Honda 250R in the back of mine. But i have the extended cab. Do you have the longbed or short? I think that might make a difference.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
asdf is on a distinguished road
asdf's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 03 access cab prerunner and i carry my 125 yamaha in it all the time. i have a toolbox and it still fits in nicely
Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed_SS View Post
I carryed (wow sp?) .... carried? a Honda 250R in the back of mine. But i have the extended cab. Do you have the longbed or short? I think that might make a difference.
I have a first gen.... I thought the bed sizes were the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
i have an 03 access cab prerunner and i carry my 125 yamaha in it all the time. i have a toolbox and it still fits in nicely
With the toolbox even? Nice. Have you ever tried multiple bikes?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDreamin View Post
I have a first gen.... I thought the bed sizes were the same?

With the toolbox even? Nice. Have you ever tried multiple bikes?
the 1st gens have 2 bed sizes...double cabs have a short bed and everything else has a normal sized bed...

id be surprised if you could fit 2 in the bed of your truck because im betting that youre going to have to have on in at an angle to properly secure it...

i suppose it may be possible with the tailgate down
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
and that can be a problem !!!!
remember the rails on the sides have a 200 pound max limit, you can do the bed bolt D ring mod, but hard to secure two bikes and get them so they won't just fall over.
we dont have composite beds in the 1st gens...so i honestly dont know if the d ring mod would work...but youre right...the lack of 4 front tie down locations would make securing 2 bikes difficult i think

i know when we put the bikes on the trailer we use 2 straps per bike and 2 tiedowns per bike...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
the 1st gens have 2 bed sizes...double cabs have a short bed and everything else has a normal sized bed...

id be surprised if you could fit 2 in the bed of your truck because im betting that youre going to have to have on in at an angle to properly secure it...

i suppose it may be possible with the tailgate down
Are there any bed-mounted racking systems that could accomodate me? I really don't have the money for a trailer or a place to keep it...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know if this will help but you could use a bed extender if im using the correct term to add a bit more security to the dirt bikes
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Are there any bed-mounted racking systems that could accomodate me? I really don't have the money for a trailer or a place to keep it...
im sure there are but im not aware of any...

you could probably figure out a way to securely fasten some d rings or something similar to the bed...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
i dont know if this will help but you could use a bed extender if im using the correct term
that would help...but he'd still have the issue of securing the bikes upright without leaning on the sides of the bed
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
that would help...but he'd still have the issue of securing the bikes upright without leaning on the sides of the bed
He could loop a strap that goes on top of the dirt bikes and slide it through the underside of the bed to secure it from leaning
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I fit one RM125 in the back of mine without a problem. Its a bit too long to get the tailgate up though, even with the rear kicked over. As far as two bikes go, I don't think I would feel very comfortable with them in the bed. I even use the factory tie down cleats to tie off of and never have had a problem. You just don't want to crank on them too much or I'm sure you would break something.

Maybe investing in a very small bike trailer would be the best bet. There are quite a few out there that are fairly inexpensive (especially relative to the cost of a new bike!) and will get the job done.

Phantom has a very good point about the weight limit on the side rails (just saw his post)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I fit one RM125 in the back of mine without a problem. Its a bit too long to get the tailgate up though, even with the rear kicked over. As far as two bikes go, I don't think I would feel very comfortable with them in the bed. I even use the factory tie down cleats to tie off of and never have had a problem. You just don't want to crank on them too much or I'm sure you would break something.

Maybe investing in a very small bike trailer would be the best bet. There are quite a few out there that are fairly inexpensive (especially relative to the cost of a new bike!) and will get the job done.

Phantom has a very good point about the weight limit on the side rails (just saw his post)
nevermind
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
You have a good point but he's got a 1st gen taco, he has no bed rails
we have bed rails...just no rail system with tie downs

there are 4 secure tie downs in the bed already...he just needs 2 more to fully secure both bikes...however...the size of the bed is kind of iffy...i wouldnt put both of our KTMs in the bed of my truck...but then...we have 2 trailers and a silverado for such excursions
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #15

Quote:
im sure there are but im not aware of any...

you could probably figure out a way to securely fasten some d rings or something similar to the bed...
I was thinking something along these lines.....
http://www.lakelandgear.com/images/b...k_bed_bike.jpg
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:

thats a neat concept and all...but dirt bikes weigh a considerable amount more than bicycles...and personally...i like mine strapped on both sides securely...

plus i think itd be cheaper to figure out a quick and easy bolt to the bed ring/loop
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Quote:
That looks like it could work, you may want to research it some more on how sturdy it is
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
That looks like it could work, you may want to research it some more on how sturdy it is
thats what i would be concerned with...as it appears to be built for bicycles and not dirtbikes...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
You can indeed fit two bikes in the back of your truck. My family has been racing motorcycles for years now and one thing I have figured out is where there is a will there is a way. I have seen three full size bikes in the back of a double cab 1st gen. if you put the tires in the outside corners of the bed or angled towards each other touching (so that they are holding each other in place in the center) and strap them down it should not be a problem. As long as you make sure that they are tight (not too tight) and not banging into each other. The tailgate will not close however as long as you put things in right and tie it all down you will be fine.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Oops.. My bad. As far as the trailer though, I realize you apparently don't have anywhere to put the thing, but maybe could just rent a storage box with your buddy and leave your bikes AND the trailer inside of it? The bike trailers are usually small enough to where I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit it and more inside of one.

Also, to add onto what a few others have said I have seen these deals that hold the front wheel secure in what looks like two piece of angle iron that run parallel to each other with a stop in the front of it. Then you just ratchet the bike toward the front of the mount. I'm not sure who makes them, but this might be a suitable alternative if you can manage to put two side by side and still have room for your bikes to be up right.