1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C isnt cold...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yurokhip, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jul 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    yurokhip

yurokhip [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    yreka c.a.
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd off rd four door
    tinted windows, 2 in lift, sittin on 31's dick cepek rims
    my a/c isnt cold nemore in my truck the ac pump i think it is? is making noise on front of my motor have no clue? ne ideas? ne1 knw watsup? gotta new baby n neeed a/c

2. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    ntoyotap

ntoyotap Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '96 Lexus sc400 (DD)
    Stock... Would love a lift (and tires to match), a snorkel, sliders, and a winch
    Could be a lot of things. What kind of noise is it making (squeal, howl/groan,..)?

3. Jul 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    BrianLV

BrianLV Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5
    someone else had that pulley come apart. so the belt wasnt spinning the pulley.

4. Jul 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    The pump you refer to is the A/C compressor & the noise you speak of , is it all the time ? or does it happen when you turn/push the ac switch on ??

If its constant after starting up without energizing the ac switch, good chance the clutch on compressor is gone out, if it only makes the noise when you turn it on chances are the clutch & compressor are good & your refrigerant has leaked out...if this is the case you could drop some dye into the mix when re charging the system, if theres a leak the dye will blow out wherever the line breach is leaving a mark/stain where the leak is..

5. Jul 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    bjasper

bjasper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Carmel, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Dad's truck, minor mods.. Saving for my own :)
    If nothings really broken, try this:
    [​IMG]

6. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    yurokhip

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    yreka c.a.
    Vehicle:
    yea it only makes a noise when i turn on the ac it does sound dry, n yea its kinda a squeel.. i took off the ac fan thing under the glovebox n cleaned the shit outta that.....
    where do i put the ac pro in? rite by the pully wheel? at the bottom right side of the engine?

7. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

There's a service valve (schrader valve) in the refrigerant line for that. Good move cleaning the coil under dash, most A/C failures are due to dirty coils.... As far as the noise goes when energized tells me that at least the compressor is kicking in, its not too difficult but get a manual showing proceedure, & check A/C belt also if its squeeling, if its good then the compressor may be getting ready to shit itself...

8. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    yurokhip

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    yreka c.a.
    Vehicle:
    rite on man helped hella i had no f'in clue.. u ever need projector lights i gota buddy that does em looks badass fairly cheep for em to he sayss..

9. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wrong answer.

That is the best way to completely fuck the system up and end up spending $1000 or more to fix it properly, when it may only be a $200 problem today.

10. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And if the compressor is kicking on, then there is sufficient charge to operate the system.

The DIY refill kit is not the solution. It needs to be looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.

11. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    will agree with above poster!!!! you can save lots of money on do it yourself stuff, but this is one of the things that takes proper tools and training or you will blow out the whole system.
    (and I have seen back-yard experts do it)

12. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    yurokhip

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    yreka c.a.
    Vehicle:
    aite thanks ill jus take it in ha..

13. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    yap thats why i have my own robinair recovery machine [​IMG]

14. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It could be low and causing it to cycle, but he didn't indicate that it was cycling.
    He said it was operating and making noise.

And cycling is normal for modern AC systems, so we can no longer determine a low charge state by simply listening for cycling.

15. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Meh, just purge it into the atmosphere.....:eek::p j/k

16. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I could have been more clear, but my main point was that someone who knows what they're doing needs to look at it.
    We can't troubleshoot a "noise" from here.
    It might be normal noise from the compressor, or he might have one that's ready to seize and throw the serp belt.

17. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    oh hell ac pro commercial just came on lol.
    i dont care bout killing ozone. i just want to read the pressures, see how much comes out. what vacc it holds. how much oil was recovered. and go from there. add to much will diffidently mess these new systems up.and blow seals.

18. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Well remember tho' , low refrigerant isn't going to allow any cycling because a call for cool has been made & because of the low/non existant refrigerant theres not enough (or any) to super heat/ super cool/expansion (gas) sub cool (liquidfy) the compressor will just keep pumping away trying to hit the demand for cool..but it can't because of the low/non refrigerant

19. Jul 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    pst do not question the "RICH" :spy: :D

20. Jul 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Unless the newer systems are lacking the pressure sensors that the older systems had....

Static pressure sufficient to kick the compressor on, it starts, low side drops below lower limit, compressor releases until the system bleeds back to equilibrium and the low-limit switch again kicks the compressor on... endless cycling with little to no cooling.

Admitted... the newest system I've worked on was from the mid 90s.

Products Discussed in

To Top