1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Avoid vibes?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AviateGW, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    AviateGW

AviateGW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Atlanta area
    Vehicle:
    Black '99 3.4 SR5 4x4. OME/Dakar
    16x8 KONIG Countersteer Offroads from FN, OME/881s in front, OME shocks/Dakar leafs in back. K&N CAI, and last, but not least, TRD Shift knob.
    I'm installing the full OME setup from Wheelers on a 1st gen ('99) Taco in the very near future. I've gained an enormous amount of knowledge from this forum and have seen great trucks that have inspired me to acquire the bug to spend a lot of money on mods. :D

I've got the wheels I want picked out, I just need to get the lift done first.

I am concerned about vibrations after the lift. Is there anything I can do proactively to address/prevent vibrations prior to the lift? Is there anything I should keep in mind during the install to reduce the possibility of vibrations?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    rushr

rushr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    OME 883 Coils, Dakar Leaf Packs/D6XL AAL, Nitrocharger Sport Shocks, ARB Bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line, BAMF Sliders, Odyssey Battery, ProComp 7069 15x8, BFG KM2 33x10.5x15, Frame End Cap Mod, Hayden Transmission Cooler
    Be patient, do your build in steps and drive it in between. If you get vibes you know what caused them and can sort them out as you go.

Do it all at once and you don't know if it's front driveline angles, rear driveline angles, alignment, wheels, tires on and on

3. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I can tell you that I just lifted my truck with:

1.5" AAL
    Toytec Coilovers set at 1.75" of lift
    Bilstein 5100's all the way around

I did my lift in March (5 months or so ago) and experienced no issues....until this week. I have been noticing a cyclical "lud, lud, lud, lud" sound under very light throttle load and thought it may have been my new Magnaflow exhaust leaking. However, this week, the vibration reared its ugly head. My truck is now shaking terribly between 68-74mph under a light throttle load.

I went and had the tires rebalanced to no avail.

I'm now going to purchase a carrier bearing drop bracket from Beefed Tacos: http://stores.streetacos.com/-strse-CARRIER-BEARING-BRACKETS/Categories.bok

As an experiment, the other night I put some 0.300" spacers under my carrier bracket to try to reduce the driveshaft angle and it seemed to reduce the severity of the vibrations by about 1/3 or so. I'm betting the Beefed Tacos bracket cures it (fingers crossed).

Also, for whomever is concerned, I did some measurements and calculations of my driveshaft angle:

Stock: 8 degrees

After lift (as described above): 10.5 degrees.

Does 2.5 degrees sound like a lot? Not really, however, that's an increase in angularity by over 31%! At this point, I'm not sure if I've ended up ruining my carrier bearing or not. Regardless, I think I need the drop bracket. I'll see if it helps my current vibration and if it doesn't, I'll replace the carrier bearing. Between the two, I think it'll solve my issue.

Sorry for being long-winded, but this is what I'm living right now and hopefully this may help you. I'll report back in a couple of weeks and let you know.

4. Jul 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    AviateGW

AviateGW [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Atlanta area
    Vehicle:
    Black '99 3.4 SR5 4x4. OME/Dakar
    16x8 KONIG Countersteer Offroads from FN, OME/881s in front, OME shocks/Dakar leafs in back. K&N CAI, and last, but not least, TRD Shift knob.

Thank you for the response.

Is there an easy way to measure the angles of my driveline? Is this a protractor kind of situation?

5. Jul 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Measure heights and lengths and then google angle calculator.

Products Discussed in

To Top