Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone have a Skid Row skid plate with a 1" diff drop?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
hatda02 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
hatda02's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a Skid Row skid plate with a 1" diff drop?

I want to buy one and emailed their support. They said it can be done, but they have never done it. They said something about longer bolts and spacers.

Can anyone give me more details on how you did it and what you used for the spacer?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Try to do a search. I remember reading something about it before when I was seaching for info on the Skid Row skid plates. I have them, but do not have the diff drop.
I believe someone posted something about using washers for spaces or something along those line.
Good luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
im assuming you could reuse the spacers that you currently have on your skid plate
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
BAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura about

Navy:
BAZZMAZZA's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I did. I recently installed a full OME kit in addition to the Diff Drop. I then ordered the skid row plates. I researched on various forums to include this one for information on whether the Skid Row front skid plate would work with the Diff drop and really did not find very much usable info. (TTORA was the most info I found on the topic) I finally just removed the Diff Drop and placed the Diff Drop spacers on top of the bolts because I no longer had the OEM bolts (Thanx to a poster on TTORA). The Skid Row front plate works as advertised now. As far as the actual Diff Drop is concerned visually I saw no diffrence in the angle of the axle shafts and have put about 600 miles on it since with no issues with boots tearing.

Here is my setup for the front end:
ARB Bumper + Winch (the weight helps I am sure)
OME-882 Shocks & Coils

I personally dont want to have to deal with spacers and "making things work". Just want to keep it simple. Well see what the future holds but I am happy for now.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
hatda02's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks BAZZMAZZA. That is helpful and now I know someone has got it to work. I think I will order it and then see what my options are including removing the diff drop. I'm going to get on TTORA because I never get much from this site or Yotatech. I get "answers" like the first two: do a search or someone who knows nothing about the subject and assumes.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
BAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura about

Navy:
BAZZMAZZA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatda02 View Post
Thanks BAZZMAZZA. That is helpful and now I know someone has got it to work. I think I will order it and then see what my options are including removing the diff drop. I'm going to get on TTORA because I never get much from this site or Yotatech. I get "answers" like the first two: do a search or someone who knows nothing about the subject and assumes.

hatday02,
I want to make sure my post was not misleading and clear as possible. Essentially what I did with the Diff Drop is remove it. I dont know if you have seen or installed one of these but they are the same as OEM bolts just extra long. I threw my old OEM bolts away (mistake) so the only way I could remove the Diff Drop and not have to go buy new OEM bolts was to remove the spacers from the bottom of the bolt and place it on the nut end of the bolt so that I could use the long bolts. Now the 1" spacers are really just thick washers resulting in there being no Diff Drop on my truck.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
hatda02's Tacoma Gallery
BAZZMAZZA - Yup, I understood what you were saying. After reading your reply I went over to TTORA and found your original post and then read some others regarding the diff drops. I know those guys really know their stuff so I believe them when they say it is probably useless. I did not toss my factory bolts so I'm going to put it back the way it was and then I can run the Skid Row plate without concern.

Thanks again