Notices

has anyone done headlight restoration ?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
*~*
TacoJenn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jennifer
TacoJenn's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone done headlight restoration ?

I put the clear corner lights on and as sick as they look my headlights which were hardly dull are looking quite shabby now. pretty sure I don't want to spend the money for new headlights so has any one tried the plastic wax or stuff they sell or should I get them prof. restored
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I use scratch-x and a buffer, looks brand new.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
If you have not already tried using a headlight restore product like 3m or whatever. Try using some mineral spirits.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Tacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacolover443's Tacoma Gallery
Ive used the 3M headlight restoration kit and it worked great!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I've done mine twice now.

The 3M kit (or any for that matter with different levels of grit and a polish) will work great. The only issue is properly sealing them as the final step. The 3M kit does not come with a clear coat/sealer, so the first time I restored my headlights they eventually yellowed/hazed within months.

This past weekend I restored them again and sprayed on some Blue Magic headlight clear coat/sealer. Only time will tell if it works or not.

Scroll down to the end of this post for restoration #1:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1882210

Here's restoration #2:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post5369127
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
BigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of lightBigJLarse83 is a glorious beacon of light

BigJLarse83's Tacoma Gallery
I am a huge fan of the Mother's kit. I've done two different sets of headlights now and they turned out flawless! After the initial buffing you simply reapply the wax every month or so to keep it clear.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
brianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianpdx's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Used the 3M kit and recommend it to anyone who has the same issue. Madjik Man is correct, they need to be protected post-restoration. I used Meguiar's Headlight Protectant (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00) and they look the same today as the day I performed the restoration nearly 6 months later.

Before and after pics:

Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I used the mothers kit and pretty damn easy.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I did this on my 2001...

1000 grit wet sand paper,descent amount of pressure, sand sand sand! I went until I was seeing yellow/white water running off the lights.
2000 grit wet sand paper, again sand sand sand!
clean with water and dry them, then I used Meguiar's "plastix" with a buffing wheel, the more you sand and buff the nicer they will be, i didnt think to seal mine up, so as the other guys stated I would do that as well.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
So it looks like routine maintenance with keeping them waxed & cleared is every 2-3 months? I might try what rab89 ^ said since I have all that materials except plastix stuff.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
cfree5119 is on a distinguished road
cfree5119's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know where you can buy the drill wheel attachment to attach the sandpaper to? This makes sanding a dream as well as buffing.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
This works great, but I got tired of doing it every 3-4months so I bought a brand new pair off of ebay for $50. It's cheap enough that if they haze up in a year or two, I can just replace them.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
*~*
TacoJenn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jennifer
TacoJenn's Tacoma Gallery
just did the mothers kit today, and they came out great!! they are looking almost new, so we'll see how long they last, but being i had the truck for 7 years and they were hardly dull, im hoping it will last more then a couple months
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
06yfz450ridr is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
06yfz450ridr's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly these kits are nice but i had some isoprop alcohol lying around and gave it a try. Worked pretty well actually
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
For the maintenance, any ole wax will do. Just keep on it as other have said, 2-3 months. Takes all of 3 minutes to apply.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
A wool pad on a buffer with just about any polish will do the trick. I seal mine with the same wax I use on my paint. I do them every 3 years or so.