Notices

Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)

Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
amp3d is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)

Hi Guys!
I noticed some tranny fluid on the ground under my 2002 Auto Prerunner. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where the leak was coming from so I took it into Toyota who said it appears to be coming from the "dip stick/fill tube" seal that is connected to the transmission.

They ordered me a replacement seal, cost is about $6. Is this something that is easily replaced or should I expect to run into complications. I always do minor work to my own vehicles and the dealership wants almost $200 in labour to replace this $6 part!

If it's extremely tough to get at, I may take it to a general auto repair shop to see what they can do.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
are you talking about where the tube off the pan meets the one in the engine bay? If it is a 4 banger its two bolts that hold the tube on and the v6 is one bolt. Take out the dipstick and then unbolt the tube. Replace the oring and put a bit of grease on it and install back in place. Just don't cram that thing on the tube going to the trans pan, you don't want to mess that one up. Probably a 10 minute job.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Registered Mud Abuser
dentaco76247 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
dentaco76247's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^

Easy, Easy, Easy
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
It's actually the 6 cyl. Wow, I don't know why the dealership would quote me $180 for 10 minutes of work. That's why I was doubting myself.

That said, after removing the bolt how is the tubes connected? Are they threaded? Or just press fit on?

What did you say not to cram? I didn't quite understand that part :/
Do you mean dont cram the top part of the tube assembly into the bottom?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Mud Abuser
dentaco76247 is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
dentaco76247's Tacoma Gallery
Press fit with an o-ring seal. Lube the new o-ring.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
It's actually the 6 cyl. Wow, I don't know why the dealership would quote me $180 for 10 minutes of work. That's why I was doubting myself.

That said, after removing the bolt how is the tubes connected? Are they threaded? Or just press fit on?

What did you say not to cram? I didn't quite understand that part :/
Do you mean dont cram the top part of the tube assembly into the bottom?
it's just stuffed into the pan tube like putting two straws together. main reason not to force the tube in is that if you damage the lower section of the tube you usually have to replace the transmission pan. You will be amazed how you save your self 180 smacks for something that barely gets your hands dirty.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can just put a bead of silacone around where the two come together. That what I did.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
amp3d's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much for the responses!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
hank4151 is on a distinguished road
hank4151's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I also have a leak problem with my transmission dipstick/filler tube (on 2004 2.7L Xtra Cab 4x4), and hope that somebody would be able to help me.

Where the tube from the pan and the tube in the engine bay meet it is very obvious that they are not joined properly, as there is a very small gap between the tubes and fluid leaks out. However, it is not obvious to me how the two ends join. I have attached a picture of the engine bay side of the tube. As the picture shows, there is a flange at the end of the tube. The pan side also has a very similar flange, but there are two of them (like two hat brims if you stacked two top hats together).

Given the two sides I see, I can think of two possible explanations for how things go together:

1) I completely missing the o-ring part, and that part inserts into both the pan and the engine bay sides joining them. For some reason that does not matter, the pan side has two flanges.

2) The outer flange on the pan side is actually part of the o-ring, and part of the o-ring has broken off and is missing. I tried to see if I could pull the outer of the two flanges on the pan side out of the tube, but I did not use much force because I did not want to break the tube.

Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)-tube.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
If I remember right theres an o ring where the 2 meet.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Thanks. I know there is an o-ring. My problem is that I don't know if the o-ring is still attached, gone, or if the pan end is damaged and will not accept another o-ring without replacing the pan.

I got a better picture of the pan end. Could somebody take a look at the two ends below and tell me if all I would need to do is get an o-ring to reconnect the two, or if there is something else going on here?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)-tube.jpg   Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)-pan4..jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Could somebody help a brother out? I'll be taking another crack at this tomorrow...

Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank4151 View Post
Could somebody help a brother out? I'll be taking another crack at this tomorrow...

Thanks

Hank, I think I can help you, as I have been in a very similar situation. The end has snapped off of the engine bay side of the filler, and that end is no doubt still inserted in the pan end of the tube. The o-ring is attached to this broken off piece. I have attached a picture of a new engine bay side of the filler, as well as a picture of a broken filler (the situation you are in).

Getting the broken end of the filler out of the pan end can be very tricky. If you are confident in your skills, the easiest route is probably removing the pan so you can get a good grip on the broken end and remove it without damaging the pan side of the filler. Another route would be to try to remove the end while the pan is still attached. The area is very awkward, though, and there is a good chance you will end up frustrated and cursing your maker. If you go this route, plug the pan end of the filler and blast the hell out of it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench before trying to get the broken tip of the engine bay end out.

A new engine bay side of the tube is around $100. OEM part number is 35013-35350. The O-ring (part # 90301-09011) comes with 35013-35350. Two bolts hold it on, both of which are also very awkward to access. For the top one, use a short handled nut driver and a 12mm socket, along with a mirror to guide the bolt. For the bottom one, a 12mm ratcheting wrench is the best thing for the tight area.

Patience is key for this job. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)-new.jpg   Transmission Dipstick Tube (leak)-broken.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Wow, awesome Hank. Thanks so very much!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
No problem, Hank. People sharing knowledge, that's what Tacoma World is all about.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank4151 View Post
No problem, Hank. People sharing knowledge, that's what Tacoma World is all about.
Amen, brother.