1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bad wobble when breaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jkohler, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Jul 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    So i was driving on the freeway and my back drivers side tire came off, bounced down the road next to me, and eventually bounced into my door as i was pulling over. I changed the drum, lugs, and lug nuts and also got new tires and had them balanced. Now when i go to stop, the entire truck shakes pretty bad. when i am driving it is fine. i have checked all of my break pads and had my rotors turned thinking this was the problem. is it possible that i bent a axle shaft or something when my truck took the fall? It has a 6 inch lift with 265 tires. any suggestions or ideas?

2. Jul 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Did you re adjust your rear brakes ??

3. Jul 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    & if it drives fine other than the "Brake & shake" thing I'd rule out bent axle, it'd probably do it all the time..

4. Jul 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    tsab916

tsab916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    02 DC 4x4
    Could be a slightly bent housing, how hard or long did the axle hit/drag along the ground for?

Most of the time you would feel a little bit of vibration while driving and feel a lot while braking, because while braking the drums would wobble and the pads would stay still

5. Jul 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    i did not re adjust the rear brakes. i thought they self adjusted when you backup? when the tire came off i went probably 30 yards before i came to a stop. i was going about 80 mph on the freeway.. i replaced the front rotors thinking i may have warped them from slamming on the brakes. the drum that it slid on didnt even get messed up very bad, but of course i replaced it. what housing are you talking about being bent? axle housing? it only shakes when i brake. the more gradual of a stop i come to the worse it is. also, the slower i get the worse it gets. kind of has me baffled.

6. Jul 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    I think he means axle housing which I'd dismiss if your issue only occurs when braking, & I know they say they adjust when backing up & from my experience with auto adjusters about half of them work half the time, not real reliable IMO best just to manually adjust, if 1 or both drums are out of adjustment, the shoes could be making just enough contact to cause a "chattering" effect, same with front except it would be from warped rotors probably

7. Jul 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    k i will dig into the drum and see if i can find out what is going on in there. let you know what i find out.

8. Jul 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Make sure the parts store gave you the proper drum for your truck.

I had that problem on a plow truck a few years back. Parts store gave me wrong drum. It fit on fine, but it wasn't correct drum. Now this wasn't a Toyota. It was the four letter word truck...lol

Just a suggestion.

9. Aug 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    adjusted my breaks and checked the drum, both seemed to be fine. i have no idea what else to check? also maybe worth noting, the vibration doesnt come up through the break pedal like most break issues. im just worried the fall my truck took damaged or bent something in the axle..

10. May 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    Bump. 8 Mo later and still doing it! :mad: Anyone else have advice or ideas to what is going on?!

11. Aug 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    My truck just went through an intermittent thing where every now and then the steering wheel would shake like crazy when braking.... it would do it for a few stops then quit.....

Turned out to be a seized front caliper and rusted inner brake pad...

Check that on yours..

12. Aug 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Hey OP... did you check the brake calipers?

I bet that's the problem...

13. Sep 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    Is there a way to check the calipers? When I was looking at them, the calipers seemed to have good pressure and pushed out when you hit the brakes. I had to get pliers to compress them back in.

14. Sep 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I have zero confidence in turning rotors these days. Between Chinese metal and thinner rotor material for weight reduction (read EPA) I've had very little success in having modern rotors turned and not warping.

Yes, you can check calipers. If both pistons come out, they work. Just remember if you check them with the pads out, insert a block of wood in between the pistons and keep your fingers clear. Your brake hydraulic system exerts 40 billion PSI.

1) What brand of rotors are you running?

2) Did you inspect brake shoes and springs when you replaced rear drum?

15. Sep 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Have someone watch your brake calipers as the brake pedal is depressed... you SHOULD see the pads (outer and inner) move toward the rotor.... MIne did not move from the inside..the outter one did.... that caused the shudder when braking...

Not a hard thing to check .... just remove wheels and have a buddy on the brake pedal... The inner brake pad was rusted and fused to the pin it should glide smoothly on......

16. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    havenoclu

havenoclu Member

Member:
    I've got the exact same issue on my 98. Going to check the calipers...will update after I get around to it.

17. Oct 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    lonzorizo

lonzorizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Hoopa, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD OR, 2016 TRD OR Tacoma
    My bet is on bad wheel bearings. My truck would wobble when under braking as well, later developed a clunking noise at random from the rear end. Pulled out the axle shaft and bearings were done. Replaced them and all is well. No more wobble or clunk.

18. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    havenoclu

havenoclu Member

Member:
    Mine turned out to be the rotors. Went with brembos and have no more wobble in the steering wheel when braking.

Products Discussed in

To Top