1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY spray in bedliner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoJenn, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jul 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    TacoJenn

TacoJenn [OP] *~*

Member:
    First Name:
    Jennifer
    Houston, TX
    Campa shell, 5100s
    thinking about doing a bedliner, saw the herculiner advertised and a few other ones, anyone done them? or done the rattle can ones, i hardly use my truck bed so it doesnt have to be super tough, its just the paint is well weathered from sun and snow and is starting to chip

2. Jul 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    There are tons out there from spray on to roll on or rattle can on. A lot of threads about bed liner. I went with Line-X. It cost a lot more ($400 over the rail) but it was worth it. Just make sure to scuff it really good. Clean it. And mask or take off any hardware you don't want to spray/roll on like tie downs. And it should be simple and effective. There is Herculiner, Raptor, Line-X, Rhino Lining and so much more.

3. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Spend the money to do it right.

Rattle can bedliner was designed for touchups and to hit areas that can't be rolled.
    And you'll be near the cost of a pro job once you buy enough cans to get a heavy enough coat to be any good.

Roll-in Herculiner isn't bad for DIY, but it looks DIY. For a beater? Sure.
    Just don't skimp on the prep. Bedliner, like any paint, prep is 75% of the job.

4. Jul 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    For DYI I am pretty convinced on Raptor Liner after my research.

I don't have any experience with it though.

5. Jun 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    hey op, this is a 11 month old thread. have you try it yet doing diy spray in? i'm curious to know how it turn out. have any pictures? were you satisfy with diy? i still have the truck plastic bedliner on and it is limiting the space for things to put back there.

6. Jun 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    ^This. MUCH MUCH better than Herculiner. Smoother finish and you don't need to add a UV stabalizer to it to keep it from fading like you do with Herculiner. I've sprayed on the inside and underside of my offroad trailer back in 2008 and it's still holding strong and looks great.

7. Jun 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've used Herculiner on my 96 truck bed, two Jeep Wrangler interiors, & rock sliders.

Herculiner works pretty darn good for what it is. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative - there's nothing wrong with it. Prep work and installation can be a bit messy & ugly....but worth it.
    1) Wear disposable clothing, long sleeves, gloves
    2) DO not get it on your skin - its a bitch to get off. Don't SCRUB or you could end up with a nasty rash.
    3) Use disposable cups, brushes, everything.
    4) Use an orbitable sander to make the prep work go quicker

It's gonna be much thinner than the professionally applied liners ... If you rub heavy (heavy) objects across it, it can come off. If exposed to the weather for a few years, it can fade and get even thinner.

Other than my 96 bed...I Herculined the floor boards of two Jeep Wranglers. With regular wear/tear and traffic, the stuff did not come off. I did the topside of a set of rock sliders also (for traction). It never came off with regular usage.

The best part about it - you can buy a quart can and do touch-ups without an prep work - as it sticks to itself rather easily. You can make certain areas thicker by applying more coats.

Products Discussed in

To Top