Notices

DIY spray in bedliner

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
*~*
TacoJenn is on a distinguished road
Name: Jennifer
TacoJenn's Tacoma Gallery
DIY spray in bedliner

thinking about doing a bedliner, saw the herculiner advertised and a few other ones, anyone done them? or done the rattle can ones, i hardly use my truck bed so it doesnt have to be super tough, its just the paint is well weathered from sun and snow and is starting to chip
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
There are tons out there from spray on to roll on or rattle can on. A lot of threads about bed liner. I went with Line-X. It cost a lot more ($400 over the rail) but it was worth it. Just make sure to scuff it really good. Clean it. And mask or take off any hardware you don't want to spray/roll on like tie downs. And it should be simple and effective. There is Herculiner, Raptor, Line-X, Rhino Lining and so much more.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the money to do it right.

Rattle can bedliner was designed for touchups and to hit areas that can't be rolled.
And you'll be near the cost of a pro job once you buy enough cans to get a heavy enough coat to be any good.

Roll-in Herculiner isn't bad for DIY, but it looks DIY. For a beater? Sure.
Just don't skimp on the prep. Bedliner, like any paint, prep is 75% of the job.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
For DYI I am pretty convinced on Raptor Liner after my research.

I don't have any experience with it though.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
hey op, this is a 11 month old thread. have you try it yet doing diy spray in? i'm curious to know how it turn out. have any pictures? were you satisfy with diy? i still have the truck plastic bedliner on and it is limiting the space for things to put back there.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
For DYI I am pretty convinced on Raptor Liner after my research.

I don't have any experience with it though.
^This. MUCH MUCH better than Herculiner. Smoother finish and you don't need to add a UV stabalizer to it to keep it from fading like you do with Herculiner. I've sprayed on the inside and underside of my offroad trailer back in 2008 and it's still holding strong and looks great.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
I just did the roll-in Herculiner on my truck. IMO it came out pretty good considering it was ~75 bucks and a few hours in the driveway.

As said, prep is everything, and it does look DIY up close. Herculiner is messy as hell and if you're looking for a pro finish you're going to drive yourself insane cleaning up the drips and bloops until it's perfect. But for short money and not much time, I'm happy with it.

I did my rockers with it as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Herculiner on my 96 truck bed, two Jeep Wrangler interiors, & rock sliders.

Herculiner works pretty darn good for what it is. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative - there's nothing wrong with it. Prep work and installation can be a bit messy & ugly....but worth it.
1) Wear disposable clothing, long sleeves, gloves
2) DO not get it on your skin - its a bitch to get off. Don't SCRUB or you could end up with a nasty rash.
3) Use disposable cups, brushes, everything.
4) Use an orbitable sander to make the prep work go quicker

It's gonna be much thinner than the professionally applied liners ... If you rub heavy (heavy) objects across it, it can come off. If exposed to the weather for a few years, it can fade and get even thinner.

Other than my 96 bed...I Herculined the floor boards of two Jeep Wranglers. With regular wear/tear and traffic, the stuff did not come off. I did the topside of a set of rock sliders also (for traction). It never came off with regular usage.

The best part about it - you can buy a quart can and do touch-ups without an prep work - as it sticks to itself rather easily. You can make certain areas thicker by applying more coats.