1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tweeter location in '98 xtra cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by calebdnehus, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    I have a 1998 xtra cab Tacoma with two 600 rms subs in the back all to the passenger side and I was wondering where you guys would mount some tweeters with this set up so that the sound would mix together very well

2. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Not sure if it will work but the 3rd gen 4 runners have tweeters where the side mirror plastic piece is. maybe get those?

3. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Thats a good spot

4. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    That's what I've been reading, I just wasn't sure if that would be too much high pitch up front and out the bass in the back. It sounds like a good idea though, and it'll give a good stock look

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    or on the side of the door like this

[​IMG]

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    That looks pretty sweet. I like the interior you got there, it looks good

7. Jul 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    Zork

Zork Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA / KY
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 D-Cab
    Alpine CDA-9885
    I got a set of 4runner tweeter pods that I had on my 2000 Taco. $20 bones shipped and they are yours.

8. Jul 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    You know I was staring at the inner plastic trim piece for the side mirrors and thinking that's the perfect spot for tweeters.

Can anyone confirm if that will work?

9. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
  10. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    The tweeters I have are to big for the 4runner pods

11. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  12. Jul 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    From what I remember of acoustics. The best tweeter location would be facing your ears in a tight location. I'm willing to bet near the dash area would sound best. Seeing how high freq sound waves function in a narrow form.

Subwoofers of course like a large open space.

13. Jul 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Depending on your speakers most tweeters want to be with in 6-8 inches of the woofer. May want to check with the speaker manufacture to see what they suggest.

14. Jul 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I'll do that, I'm gonna see if I can find their customer service number right now

15. Jul 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Do you think I could fit 1.5 inch x 0.7 inch tweeters in the 4runner pods? I read that the biggest you could go was about an inch. How would you secure the tweeters to pods?

16. Jul 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Lol x2

17. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Depends how fussy you are about the sound and what level hu or eq you have in the system.

The problem with the pods is time alignment. You can adjust them axis wise, but this will not overcome the issue without a head unit or eq that will time align the signal (delay basically) so that the sound from both left and right will appear to arrive at your ears within the perceived same time to give you a correct staging. Otherwise you end up with the nearest tweeter pulling the sound stage over to the pillar where it is playing.

I still like the kick panel for optimum install and ease. Guess a bit old school as they say. The distance is such that you get a close alignment and a good sound stage.

Door within a few inches of the component woofer would be my next choice. You want them close or you can get stage issues with some components. An example would be you mount the component woofer low in the door and the tweeter in the pillar area. Crossover on the components is such that the sound stage floats down on lower notes and then up on the dash with higher. So, you could have a potential that a crossover point would have a singer with vocal range appear to be high on the dash one minute and then all of a sudden be low under the dash. This causes you to have localization of the speakers. Meaning, instead of having a nice blended sound stage appearing to come from the dash area and spreading forward and to the sides, you can tell where each individual speaker is.

Now, time to double talk lol. If you control the crossover point so that only the higher frequencies are produced from the pillar type tweeter then you can get a nice raised sound stage and some added depth to the music. This means that your other speakers need to be able to produce the full range. All comes down to finding out what works for your particular vehicle.

In my Tacoma I've not built any kicks yet so popped the components in the door. The component woofer is mounted on the 1995 door plate and the tweeter is surface mounted on the door panel within 2 inches of the component woofer. The pod allows me to angle the tweeter to get the best imaging (have to rely on placement and crossover as sadly could not afford a time alignment head unit). I ALSO have a pair of the later model 4Runner pods on the door, but have them crossed over really high (I'd have to dig through and get the value again as forgotten the hz value they calculated to). This way they provide added stage height and depth without localizing the sound as the frequency is high enough that they really just produce some of the freq that add "airiness" (is that a word and if it is I'm sure I did not spell it right lol) to the music produced. I hope that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

18. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    That quite informative, thank you

19. Jul 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    so i just tried to wire up my tweeters and i just used a wire tap on the 6 1/2 inch door speaker and tied the positive and negative of the tweeters to the positive and negative of the door speakers. They wont play any sound when i turn the radio on. They package said they had built in crossovers so i didnt wire anything in-line when i connected the tweeters to the door speakers. I need help!

20. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    hmmmm interesting

Products Discussed in

To Top