Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Price to fix?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
brigas is on a distinguished road
brigas's Tacoma Gallery
Price to fix?

How much would it cost for a decent job to get this painted at a paint shop?

What about doing it myself?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Price to fix?-uploadfromtaptalk1343423403778.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
in order to paint that id think you would have to paint your whole cab to get it to look right.....

just my first thought, i dont know much about painting.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
As far as cost I don't know. If you have never sprayed auto paint before and don't know how to blend the paint I wouldn't try that yourself.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
^This....dont try it yourself if you have never painted and you want it to look factory. To do it correct you would have to blend it down the A,B and C pillar which isnt that bad and would take a shop about 2 days to do if they arent busy. I would say anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on which shop you go to.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
I'd paint the whole truck, I'm thinking to patch that up it'll be around $600+ Hows the side paint?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Why paint the whole truck if its just the roof?

Its not like everyone is going to look for different shades of black on top of a truck.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
brigas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
I'd paint the whole truck, I'm thinking to patch that up it'll be around $600+ Hows the side paint?
Everything else is in OK condition. Just the roof bugs me a lot
Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Ok then if the rest is fine then yea I can see fixing that bad part is ok enough. I'd take it to a couple shops and ask for a quote, unless you've sprayed before it can be challenging for some. For me the clearcoat is the hardest.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigas View Post
Everything else is in OK condition. Just the roof bugs me a lot

Depends on how long you want it to last as well, get it done for a couple hundred at MACCO but wont last but maybe a couple years. If you plan on keeping the truck I would take it and have it done right the first time.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey11 View Post
^This....dont try it yourself if you have never painted and you want it to look factory. To do it correct you would have to blend it down the A,B and C pillar which isnt that bad and would take a shop about 2 days to do if they arent busy. I would say anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on which shop you go to.
^^x2
Never use dish soap on your truck(that could be what did it atleast on my old mans truck it is lol) wax it once a year or more.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
The same thing happened to my visor that I had on my '99. I took it to Maaco and let them put a coat on it for about $100. After that, I clay barred and waxed the rest of the truck. Everything blended pretty nice. About 3-4 years later, the frame rust kicked in and the truck went back to the factory. At that point though, it still looked great. And that was 3-4 years of NJ winters. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Well if I were to repair that I would not have Maco touch it unless the truck is a piece of shit and you were looking to sell it. Remember you get what you pay for.

A decent complete would run at least $5K.

Painting the cab roof is a lot of work as the whole truck would have to be protected from over spray. ( Something Maco would try and fail at.)
Most of the time when doing a panel repair the problem is where to stop, if I do the roof should I do the whole cab, then whats the that going to look like, is it going to match compared to the rest of the truck if its faded, you can't add some fade to the paint cup, to get a close match!

When I was painting for a living customers would say as long as you have some paint in the gun, could you spray this or that, the hard part is getting to the point where you fill the gun with paint ( preparation ).

A good shop can blend the pillars and I think the price is going to be close to $1K for a decent job.

I refinished the box, tailgate, and front and rear bumpers, and had $500 in material alone.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'd plasti dip the roof no question. 20 bucks...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
BrianLV is on a distinguished road
BrianLV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Herculiner, less than $100 lol
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
what if he did all the preperation ( sanding/removeal of plastic pieces) then took it to a place for a cheaper paint job like 400-500 bucks then put all the pieces back on himself?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
brigas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Plastidip sounds like a good cheap temporary fix. How long will it last in good weather?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigas View Post
Plastidip sounds like a good cheap temporary fix. How long will it last in good weather?
No... NO!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Roll-on paint
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
brigas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
No... NO!
Why not?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Why would spending hours applying cheap, ugly spray on rubber coating be better than just having faded clearcoat?