Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen add a leaf install write up

Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen add a leaf install write up

Hey just installed an add a leaf on my 98 taco. looked around on here for an install write up with no luck... so I found one. Hope it helps SOMEONE!

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...tall/RTU20.pdf
Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Seems easy enough. How long did it take to do?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
aldoraine is on a distinguished road

Name: evan
aldoraine's Tacoma Gallery
That seems like the hard way to me. I just did this 2 weeks ago. You can leave the leaf pack in the truck too. Just remove the rear tires to give you more room to work. I removed the shocks (one at a time depending on what side you start on). After that, you can remove your Ubolts, lower the axle down a little bit, C-Clamp the leaf pack, remove your center bolt, release the C-Clamp (Put small ones on the far end of each side of the leaf pack to keep the main leafs in place before releasing your main clamp), and place your AAL spring in the pack. Once it's where it needs to be, you can compress the pack with a big C-Clamp, install new center pin, cut off the excess so your bump stop can fit over it, reinstall U-Bolts, reinstall Shock, then move to the other side.

Hope that helps! Took about 4 hours working slowly, with many beer breaks in between.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoraine View Post
That seems like the hard way to me. I just did this 2 weeks ago. You can leave the leaf pack in the truck too. Just remove the rear tires to give you more room to work. I removed the shocks (one at a time depending on what side you start on). After that, you can remove your Ubolts, lower the axle down a little bit, C-Clamp the leaf pack, remove your center bolt, release the C-Clamp (Put small ones on the far end of each side of the leaf pack to keep the main leafs in place before releasing your main clamp), and place your AAL spring in the pack. Once it's where it needs to be, you can compress the pack with a big C-Clamp, install new center pin, cut off the excess so your bump stop can fit over it, reinstall U-Bolts, reinstall Shock, then move to the other side.

Hope that helps! Took about 4 hours working slowly, with many beer breaks in between.

Wish I woulda posted the instructions and got that helpful little tidbit before I started work!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoraine View Post

Yeah, same method I used. Mine was a PITA...used 4 or 5 c-clamps total though.