1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lift kit questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by lazybeach, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    lazybeach

lazybeach [OP] Member

Member:
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    96 lx
    I finally decided on getting a mid travel suspension kit for my truck. I was thinking about getting the ultimate tacoma lift kit with bilstein shocks. My first question is this the best kit I can get for my truck with out breaking the bank? My second question is it going to give me the 3 inches I want? My third question is what size tires will fit on the truck with out trimming the body? And my last question is should I get UCA? i dont want to get them if they i really dont need too.
    My main thing I wanna do with my truck is some mudding and trail ridding so my plan is to get some good mud tires for when i go mudding but have other tires that wont turn into racing slicks in a year.
    So if you have any pics of your trucks with the lift and answers to my questions that would be awesome.

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    lazybeach

lazybeach [OP] Member

Member:
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    96 lx
    sorry i forgot to mention i have a 96 dlx 4x4 extended cab

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    OME w/ Dakars and ULK is the same in price. Most people don't run aftermarket UCA's. 265/75R16 is the largest w/o trimming cutting. Personally I would go with OME with Dakars myself vs ULK with AAL. Your main worry with 3" is the CV angle.

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Mid travel mean extended travel coil overs made by either fox, king, or icon. You need UCAs to actually use the extended travel for mid travel.

OME or the toyotech coil overs are not mid travel setups. They are standard travel. You do not need UCAs with either way.

3" of lift makes the cv boots rub causing them to bust later done the road. You can do the boot slide mod to avoid this.

The best way on a budget to get 3" is blistein 5100s with the eibach coils. Or expensive coil overs which if you want a true mid travel setup you'll need anyways.

Since your a 96 like me your probably on a 15" rim not a 16. Better IMO anyways.

No cutting..only a stock size 31x10.5 tire, anything larger you will have to do some form of cutting.

I agree that a new leaf pack is the way to go. Also not cheap. Especially since your a 96 like me as our leaf packs are shorter then 98-04 tacoma's

Products Discussed in

To Top