Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painted Hubs?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Painted Hubs?

I'm looking to paint the piece that turns on my locking hubs red. I see that the pre-tacos have them, and they look good in my opinion.

I have polished aluminum wheels and think that the red would go well. Has anyone painted theirs, or are there aftermarket hubs that look cleaner?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about ones like these?

I painted mine with a small bottle of bright red touch up paint. It brushed on. Then I used a screwdriver to scrape the paint off of the lettering. I don't know how well it will hold up, but it looks better than before.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I am talking about. I want to use something that will hold up. And how did you get that aluminum so shiny on those?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
I'm hoping that the paint holds up. I just bought some cheap stuff at Walmart. I wanted to try caliper paint, but couldn't find any in red. I figured I shouldn't try to spray paint them...Lol. The metal was covered in rust and dirt. I cleaned them up with brake cleaner and wd40--Spent a few hours getting them clean and painted. Had to use rags, a screwdriver to scrape rust, and a bunch of qtips.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
I'm hoping that the paint holds up. I just bought some cheap stuff at Walmart. I wanted to try caliper paint, but couldn't find any in red. I figured I shouldn't try to spray paint them...Lol. The metal was covered in rust and dirt. I cleaned them up with brake cleaner and wd40--Spent a few hours getting them clean and painted. Had to use rags, a screwdriver to scrape rust, and a bunch of qtips.
Post some pictures! I need to add new brakes/rotors in front and figured might as well clean and grease my hubs. Might paint em.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
I just got some standard red Rustoleum paint for mine. Seems to hold up good so far, I'm not worried about them fading or anything. It's easy enough to disassemble the hub and re-paint.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
Post some pictures! I need to add new brakes/rotors in front and figured might as well clean and grease my hubs. Might paint em.
I don't have any before pics of the hubs. But, this is the axle they were off of (the hubs were in the same condition as the rest of the axle):

Still don't have them on the truck... But, here is a better pic of them all cleaned up and painted.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I have learned that cheap enamel paint (krylon, rustoleum..) chips off easy.

Best paint to use if you want durability is an acrylic lacquer like duplicolor.