Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where is the AC evaporation drain located?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the AC evaporation drain located?

This morning my passenger side floor well/carpet was soaked.

It rained hard yesterday and last night and while driving I had to have the defrost on full blast (obviously AC engaged)

I'm hoping it's just a clogged AC evap drain and not the dreaded windshield seal leak.

After looking at the FSM I can't seem to locate the drain itself to see if it's clogged and/or to blow compressed air through it.

Any help is appreciated.

FYI here's a picture of the only spot I can see water on the firewall. Granted it had been a whole night so who knows how much more water was on it during the major leaking

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It's on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay. There should be a rubber tube sticking out.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It's on the passenger side firewall in the engine bay. There should be a rubber tube sticking out.
So I see a rubber nipple thing sticking out, and it has a drip of water at the end of it:

And I presume it's coming from the (is this thing the cooling unit?)

My question is, how to I make sure the drain isn't clogged causing so much water to leak and soak my passenger side floor well?

And is a lot of water symptomatic of a clogged AC evap drain or am I looking at a leaking windshield?

I've never had a problem with either.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

So I googled and found several places that say to blow condensed air into the evap drain in the engine bay to clear any clogs.

Wouldn't this just blow all the crap into the evap box? Shouldn't I try to blow all the crap out the other way?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Just stick the business end of a coat hanger in there.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

I'll report back
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

HOLY FACK!

I just stuck a thin rod in the drain plug and as soon as it crossed through the firewall water started gushing out. At first brown, then clear...

...all said I estimate that 1 to 1.5 cups of water spilled out

Is my problem solved?

(btw - I doused my windshield, cowl etc with a hose and saw no visible leaks in the cab)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That doesn't sound pleasant in any situation.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
That doesn't sound pleasant in any situation.

So many bad thoughts went through my head.

I was still laughing as I sticking it in the drain.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
it seems like your missing a little aluminum tube that curves down. My drain has a downspout coming out of the rubber isolator out of the firewall. I have since added a rubber tube to it since it was dripping right on my exhaust flange. Maybe not having that down spout is causing you to get too much crap into the drain.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
it seems like your missing a little aluminum tube that curves down. My drain has a downspout coming out of the rubber isolator out of the firewall. I have since added a rubber tube to it since it was dripping right on my exhaust flange. Maybe not having that down spout is causing you to get too much crap into the drain.
Interesting. I can't find a part number, or even the part itself, in the parts list.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Interesting. I can't find a part number, or even the part itself, in the parts list.
I've never seen it either.

Maybe some got it and some didn't?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has no aluminum tube. Just the rubber thingy. I pulled mine out of the truck and cleaned it out. It's really not that hard to remove.

My evap box filled up to the point that on right hand turns it would spill on to the blower fan, making a pretty interesting noise. The best was when it ran out of the floor vent nearly filling my wife's left shoe.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has the aluminum tube. Drips right on the frame
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #16

Without that aluminum tube I believe mine just drips straight onto the ground. It may hit part of the exhaust... I'll have to check.

Since so much water poured out of the drain once I cleared it of its clog, should I try to remove the housing on the evap box to see if there's a bunch of water in there too?

Or is that not worth the hassle?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
fwiw the tube is 3/8" OD (in case you wanted to add one)
Thanks.

So the aluminum tube with the 90* in it fits on the outside of that rubber nipple and does not insert into the port?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
no it goes into the rubber..
That's what she said

Quote:
i'l try to get a pic for ya
Thanks, appreciate it