1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

possable rear spring upgrade path, using junk yard springs.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Qlueless, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Qlueless

Qlueless [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Centerville, In
    Vehicle:
    98 Taco Xtra-Cab v6 4x4
    About a year ago I found thatthe front coils out of a 2nd gen Taco would fit in the front of a 1st gen withno modification, and that some of the rears would work with slight mod's.

Well now a year later thefronts are doing fine, however the rears are complete trash, and I need to replace them again :frusty: guess I shouldstop hauling brick and mortar on a Tacoma

Well I have been looking at afew different "other" options, since I am working on a budget, andthe new springs will need to be used on a work truck that will have an extra800-1000 lbs of tools in the bed at all times, and the stock springs are justNOT going to hold up.

What I think I may have foundis that the 1998 Taco springs are almost exactly the same measurements as a2003 Dodge Dakota, however the Dodge weights almost 1000 lbs more than thatTacoma, plus can have a payload of approximately 1600 lbs..

99-04 Dakota:
    Width: 2-1/2
    Length a: 24
    Length b: 32
    Curb weight: 4484 lbs
    Maximum payload: 1530 lbs
    Gross weight: 6010 lbs (3.9LV6 4x4 5-speed Manual 5.3 ft. Bed)

98-04 Tacoma
    Width 2-3/8
    Length a: 24-1/8
    Length b: 31-1/8
    Curb weight: 3425 lbs
    Maximum payload: 1694.0 lbs.
    Gross weight: 5104 lbs (19984x4 v6 ext cab)

In a few weeks when I get thefunds, I will try to pick up a set from the local junk yard, and see what Iget.. But I still need to get a few more measurements off of the Dakota, to seehow easy they will fit, and have to correct amount of lift. So this maybe a nogo.. But I will be looking into it more.

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  3. Aug 1, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Are you replacing the entire leaf pack? Of course a worn out pack from a junk yard truck will wear out pretty fast.if you get a leaf pack from another tacoma you can just add a leaf from it to your existing pack to increase your spring rate. It will probably give you some lift as well. Just remember if you add a leaf to replace your center

4. Aug 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Not true.

The idea is to use beefier leafs then Tacoma leafs such as what the OP is suggesting. By using Dakota leafs or 3/4 or 1 ton springs, since they are made for larger truck you simply cut them down to size and bam. Bigger better leaf pack.

OP, contact Doug and Cody suggested. He is a pro at this. I do also know that Dakota leaf do fit rather nicely when trimmed just a bit amd put in a taco leaf pack

Products Discussed in

To Top