Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5th gear vibration and shake

Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
mountainbiker42 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
mountainbiker42's Tacoma Gallery
5th gear vibration and shake

Anyone ever have an issue with the shifter vibrating/shaking while in 5th gear? It's hit or miss regarding whether or not the vibration/shaking occurs. If the vibration/shaking occurs in the shifter all I do is take it out of 5th and put it back in 5th gear and it goes away. This leads me to believe it's not a bearing goes bad or a universal joint starting to go or a tire out of balance. I figure it that were the case it would shake constantly no matter what. No weird noises coming from the tranny when the shifter shakes, no vibration anywhere on the truck either, everything is completely smooth except for the shifter shaking. Had a few people check it out including a Toyota tech and they it's nothing to worry about as long as I don't hear a grinding noise.

Just curious about what it is if anything knows about this.

2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7L, 5 speed, 4x4
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Could be you have a knackered ball seat in the shift housing. Marlin Crawler sells upgraded bushings/seats for them.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

Simple to replace and take out a lot of the swap and vibration on the shifter. Can be replaced from inside the truck and while you are there you can clean your housing plate vents etc. When I did mine I found one of them totally broken. Did the heavy duty shift lever socket while I was there too. Nice firm shift and lever does not flop around.

Cheers