1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5th gear vibration and shake

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mountainbiker42, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    mountainbiker42

mountainbiker42 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 2.7 5 speed 4x4
    Anyone ever have an issue with the shifter vibrating/shaking while in 5th gear? It's hit or miss regarding whether or not the vibration/shaking occurs. If the vibration/shaking occurs in the shifter all I do is take it out of 5th and put it back in 5th gear and it goes away. This leads me to believe it's not a bearing goes bad or a universal joint starting to go or a tire out of balance. I figure it that were the case it would shake constantly no matter what. No weird noises coming from the tranny when the shifter shakes, no vibration anywhere on the truck either, everything is completely smooth except for the shifter shaking. Had a few people check it out including a Toyota tech and they it's nothing to worry about as long as I don't hear a grinding noise.

Just curious about what it is if anything knows about this.

2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7L, 5 speed, 4x4

2. Aug 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Could be you have a knackered ball seat in the shift housing. Marlin Crawler sells upgraded bushings/seats for them.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/heavy-duty-shift-lever-ball-seats

Simple to replace and take out a lot of the swap and vibration on the shifter. Can be replaced from inside the truck and while you are there you can clean your housing plate vents etc. When I did mine I found one of them totally broken. Did the heavy duty shift lever socket while I was there too. Nice firm shift and lever does not flop around.

Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top