1st Gen Taco Brake Upgrade Help Request

Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Bouvierman is on a distinguished road
Navy: Vet - Navy- USS Ranger
Name: Brian
Bouvierman's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Taco Brake Upgrade Help Request

Hi,

I'm new to the Tacoma WOrld Board and have a 2004 Tacoma extended cab with 50K miles. It has a supercharger (V6), a camper shell, XM radio and I just had the 4 Wheel Parts Shop in Nashville install $2,700 in Icon suspension upgrades. The improvement in handling and ride is significan (it should be

My next opportunity for improvement is the brakes: I find the brakes take a little longer to stop than feels comfortable. Specifically, those times are when I'm going a little too fast and need to stop unexpectedly. Is there an off-the-shelf upgrade that will reduce stopping distance that I could have 4 Wheel Parts install? Any recommendations are appreciated. I do little-to-no off roading. I just like the truck and want to trick it out as much as reasonable. Any help you can provide is appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

Brian
Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
1998tacomaowner is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
1998tacomaowner's Tacoma Gallery
What size rims do you have??
Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
big brake mod

aka Tundra caliper and rotor swap
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
1998tacomaowner is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
1998tacomaowner's Tacoma Gallery
The reason why I was asking what size rims you have was cause to do the tundra calipers and rotors you have to have biggger than 15 inch rims and this is pretty easy to do you could probably save some $ and do it yourself
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Grousehunter 12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ted
Grousehunter 12's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat,take a look at this thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...brake-kit.html
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Bouvierman is on a distinguished road
Navy: Vet - Navy- USS Ranger
Name: Brian
Bouvierman's Tacoma Gallery
Good info on the Tundra brake conversion. Can anyone give me a rough estimate what a shop may charge to do the job....including all parts and labor? Thanks! Btw...my wheels are 16".
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a bouvier named Dudley.

One of the coolest dogs ever.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
parts can be had for around 400 if you buy new. then ask your shop labor price
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Also,

from my experience with tundra brakes, there wasn't really any noticeable improvement in stopping power. from what I read before putting the parts on, the bigger brakes are really only noticeable while towing.

ps.
if you want to drive your truck like a sports car, probably should have bought a sports car in the first place.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
try getting new brakes to start off with. I got new brakes about 2 or 3 months ago and I can practically stop extremely fast if I need to. that's not any kind of upgrade just had my rotors and pads replaced.