1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sell or fix???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've got an 01 with184000 miles on it. I'm at the point where I'm getting tired of waiting for something else to break, the latest is leaking rear axles, before that it was a new exhaust and before that was struts and coming soon will be ball joints. I visited a dealer today and they offered me 4300 for trade in, kbb for my options and condition is around 4400.
    In my position, would you spend another 600 or 700 to fix the rear axles or trade it in while it's still in decent condition?

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Mickdizzle

Mickdizzle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    12 TX Pro
    I think it is all on what you want out of the truck. Personally I will tell you what I would do. I just got out of a 2012 tacoma for a 2004 tacoma that is paid off. That is exactly what I wanted to do...get rid of the payment. If it was me I would build that truck that you have as it breaks. When something goes, replace it with something better. I have every intention of doing that to the one i own now because I am still putting the vehicle payment that I would be paying away just for mods. It is nice not having to worry about anything and having something that you just pulled off of the lot, but the bottom line is...trucks break. Even if you have a brand new vehicle it wont be long before something wears out and you are replacing it. To each his own but I am done being married to a vehicle payment.

RoDan-55 likes this.
  3. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Ecnerwal

Ecnerwal Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Mass
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 2.7 A/T Ext Cab
    gradually replacing the bumper with hairy bondo ;-)
    The usual calculus - what are you trading it in on - new truck you can buy cash, newer used truck you can buy cash, or new truck with a loan - last option is a killer, but some folks do get that new truck itch even when they can't really afford it.

How did your frame inspection go, given that you are in the northeast and in the right year-range to have had your frame inspected and either replaced or rust-proofed? Given that I got a new frame in 2010, I'm a little easier with keeping it going for longer than I otherwise might.

Rather than worry about them breaking later, probably fix the axles and the ball joints in one go, along with other maintenance that needs catching up on - and still spend far less than a new truck. Try getting it detailed if you have a yen for that new car smell...and then sell it for considerably more than dealer trade-in if you still have the new-truck itch.

If it's a rustbucket, different calculus applies - if the frame finishes rotting out while still under warrantee it's more than blue book. On the other hand, if the body rots off, it becomes a time and money sink. But you describe the condition as good, other than leaky rear axle and suspect ball joints.

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    The frame was replaced in 09, 50,000 miles ago. It will cost about $1000 or maybe more to fix both rear axles, I have no idea how much replacing the front lower ball joints will be. I guess my biggest hang up is paying 1/4 of what the truck is worth just to repair it, that plus Im worried if I wait much longer it won't have any trade in value at all.
    As for the rlacement, it would definitely have to be financed.

5. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    superswamper003

superswamper003 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hendrik
    N. Snottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    1998 4wd TRD 3.4l Tacoma Xcab 313k miles!!!
    Fox Xtended travel coilovers w/resis, AllPro UCA's, AllPro 3 inch leaflets, 1" Diff Drop, 285/75/16 Bfg KO, 16x8 Black Pro Comp Steelies, AP 1.25" wheel spacers in front, 8 inch Rockford Fosgate sub that bumps like your mother, old school deck, downey headers, cold air intake, grey wire mod, e-locker, hurst shift knob, LED Strips, USMC Decals FTMFW, Fox decal, Billet grille, Alarm with no remote, Straight piped to the side of the truck
    I am kind of in the same situation as you OP. I traded my old truck for my current tacoma and ive had to put a new clutch, new tires, fix the steering, new LCA bushings, and i still have to get new rear brakes and rear axle seals. Oh and im overdue for a timing belt replacement.... Ive thought about selling my truck, but i know id regret it the day i sell. I just plan on getting all im dreaming of and putting it on my truck. And think about if you sell your truck, how would your next truck or car be that you buy? Its going to have problems too. Any used vehicle will be breaking down in some category. Hope that helps, i say keep it, and all those problems that you mentioned arnt to hard to install yourself if you have the knowledge.

6. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    SalemCBR

SalemCBR Oregon's #2 TW rep

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Elock PreR
    Deck plate, all time auxillary, black billet, xeon bulbs, sockmonkey decals, and lots of back to black.
    ? Crap shoot. Gotta decide yourself what's best for you. The dealership wants it for a reason. They are gonna make money. Sell it on your own if your gonna sell.

7. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If it's a solid rustfree truck, I would fix it. If it's getting rusty you may want to sell. Do you want to rebuild a truck or just drive it? Fixing it is going to be alot cheaper in the loooong run. $4,300 is pretty good money, though. Owning a Toyota may have just paid off for you. Either way is ok. Years ago, I was lucky I got $75 for a truck with those miles.

8. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grind it out man,I felt like giving up at one point or another my self. Watch some shit on you tube find some one tool savy who is willing to teach and make frineds do some thing, because you will get a real sense of satisfaction knowing that you know what has been put into your rig espically if you do it your self. Also make sure your shop your taking it to isn't taking you for a ride.

9. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    front lower ball joints are cheap buy moog heavy duty from your local auto parts shop $50 a pop.

10. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    You got to decide if you really want to keep the truck or not. Sounds like you are leaning toward getting rid of it, since you are worried about future trade value.

From a monthly cash flow perspective, repairing is better than a new truck note for 4 or more years.

Not to mention, the first gens are bitchin trucks! IMHO

11. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Gunslinger13

Gunslinger13 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    "To each his own but I am done being married to a vehicle payment."
    This is good advise from the poster above

I prefer not to mess with Banks and their loans. I decided over 20 years ago to stop that myself and just buy 3-4 year old Toyota's and get a great vehicle with a good discount

12. Aug 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    If i can rebuild my rolled taco in 2 months and under 1.5k..you can do the tiny bit of drive line stuff.

Its worth keeping IMO.

13. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:50 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    OP- Think we've all been in the same situation. Keep repairing or just get something else. I know how frustrating a vehicle can be when it seems like you are always repairing it or always something wrong with it.

Sure it would be nice to have a brand new truck with a factory warranty. BUT, as others have mentioned then you are chained to a car payment for a long while. In this uncertain climate, do you really want to be sinking that much money in payments you are stuck with every month?

Doing a build on a new one on the Toyota site, 4 cyl, manual, 2.7, access, basic package with slider, cruise etc. gave a msrp of $25,555. If you go w/ a V6 SR5 then looks like its over $28k and a TRD looks like it is over $30k. As far as trade in, that trade in amount is not going to make much of a difference to the price of a new truck. Even with a negotiated discount that is a chunk of change.

I was in a simlar situation a while back. Price clutch job and rear main locally, over $1000 quotes with most hovering around $1200 all in. Truck is a 1995 Tacoma. Just begrudged paying that much money for the repair compared to the total value of the truck. Ended up doing the work myself. Even with buying a tranmission jack I came out WAY ahead.

My thoughts were that it made more financial sense to repair than take on a payment that may or may not create a financial hardship later down the road. Also, as others have stated, if you buy a used truck then you may just be buying someone elses problems and you are no better off.

Here are a few links to the FSM for lower ball joint and axle stuff. With the axle I did not see the direct seal replace job as a separate section right off, but looks like it is covered within the text. Thought I'd post them just so you could have a look and see what the job looks like if you do not have a repair manual. Maybe do the work yourself and save some of the repair cost perhaps. At least might relieve some of the financial impact on keeping the truck by doing the work yourself. Hope that helps.
    Lower ball joint:
    Axle:

14. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I appreciate all your answers and it's all really good advice. With that said, I pulled the trigger and will be getting an 09 and trading in my 01. It would have saved us money by keeping the old girl, but my reasons for trading in are:
    1. my wife can't drive standard, I've tried to teach her and it has always ended horribly so it's basically a single driver truck.

2. the xtracab is too small for us to use on trips, we don't have any kids yet but we have 3 dogs, so we always have to take her crv on long distance trips which is putting some serious miles on her car.

3. I'm really happy with the deal I'm getting, it's a single owner 09 with only 14,000 miles on it. The person before me leased it and only drove it 5200 miles in 1 year. It's a certified toyota so it has a 7 year, 100000 mile drivetrain warranty and a 1 year, 12000 bumper to bumper warranty. Tow package, backup camera, sr5, all for 21000. In my area that's a great deal, every other tacoma I've looked at online had anywhere from 30000 to 60000 for that price.

4. safety features - the new one has everything. My 01 doesn't even have abs.

I'm going to miss my truck, I've had it for years and it's been good to me, but its time to upgrade. I figure with only 14000 on it I'll have it for at least as long as I had my 01 if not longer. Thanks for all the help here in the 1st gen section, looks like I'm moving over to the 2nd gen guys now.

15. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    you'll do ok recycling your truck every 200k. Especially in MA where rust is a real problem. It's nice to find an 09 with 14k on it. That's a low mile truck. It must feel brand new.

16. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    IrmoRabbidMoose

IrmoRabbidMoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Irmo, SC
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Debadged 4x4
    tool box, tint. (Soon to come... HID's, Mud Terrains.)
    I totally agree. Basically, a Tacoma will always hold a great value, no matter what someone will always wanna buy it because it's a Toyota! I'd say suck it up and fix it if it were me. Your truck is reaching the 200k mile mark where things are going to break. It's the way of automobiles even though it's a Toyota. If you fix it, you'll have a truck that's PAID for and with newer parts. When the day comes that you want to sell it, you'll be able to get good money since you've put some money into quality parts. Don't waste your hard earned money on a truck payment when the same damn thing is going to happen to that truck one day, and you'll not only be paying the cost to fix it but also the payment as well! Ultimately, it's up to you whether you wanna keep it but I'd say grind it out. Just my $.02 :thumbsup:

17. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    DoubleTake

DoubleTake Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would expect to replace ball joints and suspension components near 200k. I just replaced ball joints and cv axles at 214,000. I would rather fix little things than make payments every month. To me, it's worth it in the long run, but I dont live up north either.

18. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    They want to give you 4300 for an 01 4x4 with 184k...they are trying to rip you off for sure. They know you are sick of the problems and are going to try to get you to just get rid of it for cheap. I would fix it imo. Then if you don't want it, sell it on craigslist. You will get much more.

Products Discussed in

To Top