1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To flush once more, or not. That is the question (A340F)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by x2468, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    x2468

x2468 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    So..... i'm 50/50 here on if i should flush my auto trans once more or not. 3 weeks ago I got water in it and was looking at a strawberry milkshake situation. I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets and screen, and then disconnected the return line from the radiator and methodically removed the milkshake 3 quarts at a time, each time adding 3 quarts through the dipstick. I put 8 quarts of gas station atf, then 16 quarts of synthetic. I originally used Valvoline synthetic, but at the end of the process I was low on the dipstick and I added a few quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. I had a few transmission issues, and i brought it to the dealership, and they fixed it by adding a little more ATF, the quantity and exact type of ATF I am unsure of.

Now, in 2 days, i'll be pulling a 6x12 uhaul trailer 460 miles. I could drop the pan again, put in a new NAPA filter + gasket, and flush out the synthetic in there for 11 quarts of AMSOIL. That will run me about $200. At the moment, the transmission runs great, but it bothers me that there are 3 different brands of ATF in there. I did a lot of research and it turns out the 4runners had defective radiators that caused this strawberry milkshake water contamination issue a lot, and those who saved them ran like 60 quarts through. Overkill? Maybe... i don't know. Another benefit would be that i could check the magnets to see what ended up there after only 2.5k miles. If there is a lot of metal after such a short period then I know I can start shopping around for an R150f....

So.... if it aint broke don't fix it.... or should i bite the bullet and go for piece of mind? My biggest fear is that, even though i've done the flush before and im sure i could do it in 3-4 hours but if for somereason something goes wrong... im kinda fucked because the Uhaul is all reserved and i need to move into my new apartment.

Thoughts?

2. Aug 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Ecnerwal

Ecnerwal Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Mass
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 2.7 A/T Ext Cab
    gradually replacing the bumper with hairy bondo ;-)
    What does the stuff on the dipstick look like NOW?

If it's clear, don't sweat it.

How did the water get in in the first place? if it's a leaking cooler in the radiator, changing 1000 quarts of fluid won't fix it if the radiator part is still leaking.

As for 3 different brands, matters not a bit so long as they were all proper spec for the transmission. Quite possibly all came out of the same vat at the refinery before they went in to Brand X, Brand Y and Brand Z bottles.

3. Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    X2

4. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Stuff on the dipstick looks brand new. It got in through the breather when water went over it (deep crossing). I know the valvoline and mobil 1 were both dex III and T-IV spec. The dealership probably put in half a quart of standard toyota t-IV if i had to guess.

5. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Any one else wanna throw in their ¢2?

6. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Myself I would have Toyota do a flush,cause my luck I would trash the trans.

Some dealers have service special coupons that may help you out as far as the cost. Had mine flushed for $149 out the door.

Stay out of the water dude, it ain't fun when it bites your wallet in the ass.

7. Aug 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    x2468

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Meh forget them. They tried to tell me my only option was a new transmission. They hadnt even checked the dipstick. I asked them to check the line pressure or the shift solenoids, they said they couldnt do any of that i have to go to a specialized trans shop.... sp i asked them to try adding or subtracting some oil, they added a little and it was cured.

Case in point, my local dealership is useless.

8. Aug 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Water and clutch discs are incompatible. It causes them to fall apart. Flushing will not get the water out completely. The torque converter usually holds around 12qts. IIRC, our converters do not have a drain plug.
    Anytime water gets into a transmission, a rebuild recommended. If you don't, your're risking a more serious failure than just tearing it apart to clean and replace clutches.

Products Discussed in

To Top