Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower ride vs. higher ride

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
wayerscreech is on a distinguished road

Navy: MA3, United States Navy
wayerscreech's Tacoma Gallery
Lower ride vs. higher ride

Ive seen some taco's around here lower then most that have a wider tire. It looks aggressive and i like it. What are some pros and cons of having this as apposed to having a bigger tire and lift? At this point in time I am a fan of the Stock lift but how do I get a wider tire?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Ecnerwal is on a distinguished road
Ecnerwal's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC you can run 260/75/16 stock (as opposed to 260/70/16 largest standard stock size.) Could be wrong, it's off the top of my head.

After that you'd need to fiddle with wheel offset or wheel spacers (and perhaps wider wheels while getting some wheel offset) to run wider tires. I believe offset is better than spacers.

Unless you are sinking in to the sand, your wider tires are going to cost you at the gas pump and not do much else for you, IMHO. While I'm currently running not so large tires, I think your best looks with best run-ability come from the largest diameter tires that fit in the wheel wells at stock height, rather than lots of lift, but clearly that's a minority view here.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Wider tires really don't do much for you besides drain gas mileage, ask me how my 7 MPG truck does on the HWY
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

What would you suggest for a more aggressive look without the killing of gas mileage
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Put some wheel spacers on to make the stance wider.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
agreed
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
well i heard that wheel spacers were bad for the car. i forgot why the guy said but yea.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayerscreech View Post
well i heard that wheel spacers were bad for the car. i forgot why the guy said but yea.
I think it puts more stress on your lug studs, but I have not seen any fail yet....might be safer for 6+ lug studs. I was always told to stay away from them, so I do plus I'm not all into the wider stance look really.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I would only worry about spacers not being able to hold up if you are offroading. ive beat the hell out of my truck with spacers on it and havent had an issue. that being said if you put wheel spacers on you will push out your turning geometry and at full stop you run a chance of rubbing your fenders so be mindful of large spacers with out a lift. you can also trim your wheel wells if it is barely rubbing
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They arent. They put the same amount of stress on the system as equally backspaced wheels would. You would not have a problem, I beat the shit out the truck, hell my rear axle housing bent before the spacers broke.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
wheel spacers are only bad if you don't maintain the torque on them...

going with a wider tire will lead to quite a bit of rub on stock suspension
Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #12

so would yall recommend getting a small lift and wheel spacers? would that prevent the rubbing issue?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I get 17.5-18.5 mpg around town with my 33x12.50's and 4.56 gears? I didn't think that was too bad.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcmahan2206 View Post
The low and wide stance isn't as practical unless you do a lot of mods to get there. The high and wide go hand in hand since you are putting the COG higher. It looks more proportional to go wider when going up, too, IMO. That's the look I went for with my truck!
Body up high with almost stock ground clearance.

It makes perfect sense.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #18

Well the thing is I like the height that my taco is at right now. I was thinking about just getting a more aggressive looking tire and going from there. So would you all suggest a tire that is aggressive and not cost my my arm,leg,kidney, and first born?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper STT, BFG KM2, Toyo MT, GY M/Tr