Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can u put a smaller front brake calipers on a 2002 Tacoma on a 2002 taco

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
NateDaGreat808 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nathan
NateDaGreat808's Tacoma Gallery
Can u put a smaller front brake calipers on a 2002 Tacoma on a 2002 taco

Right now I'm running Mickey Thompson 15x12 rims and I need to use a 1/4 spaced to clear the brake caliper which leaves me with almost NO thread to remount on the truck. It we mount but I'd like to have more thread holding the rim down. My sister have a 1991 pickup and the rims fit on that truck perfectlly. Cuz I guess smaller brake calipers. They don't touch at all. Was wondering if 1991 calipers would fit on my routers? Or could I get a whole sett up of smaller routers and calipers? I know most people would think its dumb to go smaller but I love my 15s and those rims are my fav. The truck is not a
Daily driver its a Sunday cruzer
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
It is a wheel, not a rim. It is a rotor not a router.

Get the correct wheels for your truck or install longer wheel studs.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Wheels can also be called rims google it. And sry about the spelling. Why is everyone on the Internet such a smart ass. If u just posting to try and make people feel dumb don't post at all.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
And y don't h tell everyone drive cars with 20s to put the right size wheels on there cars lol seriously dhat kind of comment is that. Ya lets not modify anything everyone! Woo whoo!!! Tires off wheels off lift off lights off!!! Thanks 4 the help. Back to stock I go
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Go for longer studs. its might be a pain but ive looked into slimmer calipers as well. get a good hubcentric spacer and longer studs and youll be golden
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDaGreat808 View Post
And y don't h tell everyone drive cars with 20s to put the right size wheels on there cars lol seriously dhat kind of comment is that. Ya lets not modify anything everyone! Woo whoo!!! Tires off wheels off lift off lights off!!! Thanks 4 the help. Back to stock I go
Because those fit without modifying the brake calipers, an essential part of the truck

Everybody has said to get longer studs or different wheels, you're just hoping someone will tell you " yes, those 1991 smaller calipers will fit"

Have a nice day
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i'm sure you'll do fine around here
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
not sure why people run such a wide wheel but you have two options
wheel spacers with studs built in (thick)
or a simple 1/4" spacer with new arp wheel studs.

DO NOT put smaller calipers on your truck
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wheels can also be called rims google it. And sry about the spelling. Why is everyone on the Internet such a smart ass. If u just posting to try and make people feel dumb don't post at all.
A rim is part of a wheel, don't believe everything Google tells you.

I never said go back to stock, I said get wheels that properly fit your application or make the necessary modifications to your vehicle to make your wheels safe to use.

I am not trying to make you feel dumb, I was trying to educate you on proper terminology.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
OP - Wrong calipers with insufficient brake area and brake clamping force can seriously change how your truck stops. The manufacturer designed the whole truck as a system that includes the brakes.

That said, the comment on get the right size wheels said nothing about going back to stock or not modding your truck. By getting the correct wheels you buy (MT in this instance it looks like) the wheels you like, but get them in the correct offset if available. If you have the correct offset then the back spacing on the wheel should allow you to mount the wheel without spacers and it will clear the caliper.

This costs though. So, others suggestions on replacing your wheel studs is probably more budget friendly. Get the best quality you can and the highest strengh so you don't have issues.

Might be worth having a browse on the Tirerack.com site to see fit, spacing and what's available. Also you can try contacting one of their reps online to see what they suggest on wheel studs or wheels.

Jegs or Summit might be another source for you.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I type too slow, you beat me to it lol