1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 or 01 DC

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jefftheox, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    jefftheox

jefftheox [OP] New Member

Member:
    New Tacoma owner -

Just bought 03 4cyl. DC SR5 83k - searched high and low for months looking for another Nissan or Tacoma. Glad I got a Tacoma. Asking price 12,5. Got it for 11k. Was happy to find a 4 cyl. since they're tried and true and a bit easier to work on in the compartment due to room.

Before this I had 93 Nissan 4x4. 4 wheeling was always fun, but I rarely did it. Parking on the side of our beach roads with loose sand was what I used it for more often, but only because I felt like I could park anywhere.

I jumped on the Tacoma since it was in my price range and our 2nd kiddo was already born. 4 doors were looking good and the truck is really clean and well taken care of.

Now, 2 weeks later (of course) I find a 01 6cyl TRD leather 110k miles for 10,8k. I don't need the 6 for pulling, but having a locking differential would be nice since I just jumped from my 4x4. I haven't seen or heard it in person. The seat upgrade and shocks would be cool too, but not like the differential. I don't plan on mudding here in Florida or anything, but parking on beach sand will eventually get the better of me with open differentials I think - it's been so long since I've had 1 wheel drive. I'm pretty good mechanically, but don't see me having the time to swap out the rear end by myself when 2 kids are are running around.

Anyway,
    do you think it would be worth trading/ selling to move to the 01 trd?

Thanks
    :)

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    If it were me. I'd go for the '01 TRD. You might think you don't need the 6cyl or the locker now but things change. You'll be glad you have both those things at some point.

As for motor reliability of the V6 vs the 4cyl......A good friend of mine is a regional trainer and Toyota Master Technician for all the western states. We were talking a while back and within Toyota the consensus is the 5VZ (6cyl) is possibly the most reliable motor Toyota has ever built.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I second that ^

I might of missed it but both trucks are 2X4?

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    if they are both prerunners....all the more reason to get the TRD.

5. Aug 10, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    jefftheox

Member:
    Yeah, they're both Prerunners.
    KBB has mine for 2k more. I'm still up in the air but after seeing that and realizing the money I put down and the money I would lose up front. It's coming from a dealer so I doubt they're going to trade even, they'd probably want money for holding fees or something. I might stick it out with what I've got and save my pennies for 4wheels in 5yrs time or so.

Not set in stone, still open to suggestions.

Thanks for the responses:)

6. Aug 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Now you've done the deal on the other one (sounds like you financed perhaps) I'd just stick with it. My gut tells me you'd be on the loosing end of the deal trying to trade it off so soon on another to a dealer. Most likely end up upside down on the deal or have to sink some cash in somewhere. Maybe not as depends on your situation, but the dealer is there to make money and as much of it as they can. At a minimum you'd have all the transfer fee junk.

If you don't see yourself being able to do the work then I'd maybe save up and have a reliable shop do a rear end swap or install a locker in it for you if you need one. Should only help the value of your truck later down the road I would think.

Anyway, just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

7. Aug 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Why not list yours for $12k and sell it and then offer $10k for the other truck?

And if you can't sell it on your own (that way you don't lose your ass on trade in)
    I'd just keep what you have
    If your not pulling anything and don't need the power or locker for any reason why get rid of it!

And on a side note. I can't imagine a DC with a 4 banger.
    My 01 has the V6 in it and it barely has enough power to get out of its own way!

8. Aug 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    jefftheox

Member:
    Called and the 01 is gone after 1 day. That's how they roll here. :rolleyes:

Oh, well. I'll run this one around awhile and see how it works out.

Still super stoked to have my new Tacoma

Thanks guys:D

Products Discussed in

To Top