1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where can I get a decent Cylinder Head?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by trdracing5, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Does anyone know where I can order a decent rebuilt cylinder head already set up with valves, springs lifters and cams?

Also are the 2.4 (2RZFE) and the 2.7 (3RZFE) cylinder heads interchangeable?

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    According to my part suppliers, the heads are interchangeable, but usually sold as bare heads with no parts. Odessa Cylinder Heads company will sell you a complete head, with exchange. They have the best core return setup I have seen, which helps. Search for them on Ebay. They always have a high rating. Also JIS engines as well. I have bought from JIS before, and they have great customer service. Good luck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    trdracing5

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Should I be concerned about whether the casting is an original Toyota casting or aftermarket?

Odessa says that they sale new "aftermarket" castings.

he only reason that I am concerned is because of a statement I read on LC Engineering's website (http://www.lceperformance.com/Cylinder-Head-Bare-Casting-2RZ-3RZ-8-Port-OEM-p/1021043.htm)
    that said....
    "After testing numerous aftermarket head castings we have come to the conclusion that the stock OEM Toyota casting is far superior to any other casting. This is the only casting we use for our cylinder heads and we have never had any issues with them. The cost may be higher than the aftermarket options but in the end you get what you pay for."

(Of course if I could afford one from LC Engineering we wouldn't be having this conversation.)

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Well I have an aftermarket casting cylinder head on MY engine, and have had no problems so far with it. You can't tell a difference, and I went over it in decent detail before I assembled it. The option is yours of course, but I have used aftermarket parts, including engine parts and have not had any more trouble out of them then I have factory parts. Again, this is only a personal observation and opinion. Everyone that wants to sell a product is going to downplay and belittle the competition. I would say that the question I would as LC Engineering, is what brought them to their "testing conclusion"? Did they test multiple different castings from multiple locations? Were the tests done in a controlled environment? I could tell you that I have "tested" lots of parts from competitor A and competitor B and competitor B has better casting. The statement has no evidence. There are no links to actual tests. Did the casting fail? I would ask for more information.

5. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    trdracing5

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Ok I am back to my cylinder head search. I looked at the Odessa cylinder heads but their company got a horrible (F) rating by the BBB so I'm going to stay away from them of at all possible.
    Anyone had any experience with the cylinder heads sold by Advance auto parts? Spartan Cylinder head. They have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

6. Nov 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Going through this now. Curious which head you went with and how it's holding up after all these years? Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top