1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front End Rattling

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by YoaterBoater, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    YoaterBoater

YoaterBoater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    Over time ive noticed that my front end has developed one hell of a rattle. The inside of my tires kept wearing, so I got it aligned and went ahead and threw some new shoes on. When they were putting the tires on, they noticed that the bushing on the rack and pinion were worn out. I replaced those and it helped out a good bit, but it still isnt how it used to be. They said my ball joints were bad and were going to charge me $900 dollars to replace them. I turned around and made a beeline for the door real quick like. I put my truck on a lift and my balls joints werent loose at all. Ive checked everything I could think of. When I turn pulling uphill into my driveway, it makes a little slipping or popping noise. Any of yall have any suggestions to what it could be? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Bad bearings?

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    X2? How did they feel on the lift?

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    YoaterBoater

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    They didnt seem to have any play in them at all. Im gonna put it back up and take another look at everything. I just cant seem to figure it out.

5. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    my guess is sloppy (worn) rack bushings...
    or play in the ITRE's or worn rack guide (end play)

Could be your alignment adjusters have worked loose

If you have adj. CO's... the heims could be worn as well.

^ check those...

6. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    When you say you put your truck on a lift and checked your ball joints, how did you check them? Depending on the suspension system there are different ways to test the ball joints. On your Tacoma, you should lift the truck slightly by the lower control arm to get the weight off of the wheel, then wiggle the wheel while holding it at 6 and 12. You may have done it this way, but I have seen people inspect a loaded ball joint and think it was fine because the load prevented any play from showing.

Also inspect your control arm bushings and sway bar bushings for wear. Common cause of rattles in front end.

7. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    YoaterBoater

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox

I tested them by lifting it several feet and wiggling from 12 and 6. I then wiggled it at 6 and 12 and thats when I saw my rack moving back and forth. I replaced every bushing on the rack, but didnt replace any sway bar bushings. I had the control arm bushings replaced about 5 months ago. I pulled in the drive a few minutes ago and it sounded as if my front end bottomed out on something. I didnt pull in at any ridiculous speed or anything like that. It just made a loud thump noise. Ill try my ball joints and see what happens. I just cant stand a noise that isnt supposed to be made haha.

8. Aug 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    By saying you tested by "lifting it several feet" then I am assuming you lifted it by the frame? To properly test you need to unload the suspension by supporting the truck from the lower control arm. This will unload the ball joints, allowing for proper test. Also you said you wiggled it at "6 and 12" to notice the rack issue. I assume you meant you wiggled at 3 and 9, i.e. left and right side of the tire? Because wiggling at 12 and 6, then at 6 and 12 is the exact same position. lol.

9. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    YoaterBoater

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    Hahaha damn I meant 3 and 9. But I will give that a try. I really appreciate it. Are the ball joints on these things a pain in the ass?

10. Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    The upper ones are the most difficult, but still pretty easy to do on your own.

11. Aug 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    i recall years ago taking my truck in for ball joint recall...

[FONT=&quot]NHTSA #: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]81517,81518,81526,81528[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Make: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]TOYOTA
    Model: TACOMA
    Model Year: 2001-2004
    MFG Campaign #: 50J

Description: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Manufacturer that filed defect/noncompliance report: TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Begin Date of MFG: 7/31/2001
    End Date of MFG: 12/23/2003
    Vehicle, Equipment, or Tire report: V

Number of units affected: 768,379
    Date owner notified by MFG: 7/5/2005

Recall Initiator: ODI
    MFG's of Recalled Vehicles/Products: TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION

Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.

Consequence Summary: THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Recall Notes: TOYOTA RECALL NO. 50J. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).[/FONT]

Products Discussed in

To Top