Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need help, clutch pedal problem

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
need help, clutch pedal problem

Hey gang:
scratchin' my head here, can't figure this one out.
Just replaced the clutch about a month ago, ....no issues.......

Now, the clutch pedal goes to the floor and doesn't come back, so........
got in there (thankx to the DIY threads!), replaced the bushings......still pedal goes to the floor doesn't return. (must double clutch so it doesn't get stuck in gear, too and in traffic this sucks big time!).

Had a local (competent) shop take a look. He removed the pedal assembly, welded in a new piece (fork shaped), re installed, still same issue.

Went to dealer, bought new pedal assmebly, did the install and now the clutch pedal gets sucked right down to the floor, (by itself, if you depress the pedal a bit and then let go), it sucks itself right down to the floor and won't return.

We have welded a couple of links and installed a helper spring to bring the pedal back, for now......

any thoughts? Any suggestions b4 I make an appointment at the dealer in VT to have them take a look.
Thankx,
Scott
Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the Master Cylinder to me but I'm sure someone smarter than I will chime in.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same issue, 2x, clutch master cylinder. I replaced it with a wagner, and it was actually faulty and then had it replaced. It has held up for a year now.

DC
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Tacomanater is on a distinguished road

Tacomanater's Tacoma Gallery
Thankx guys, will need ot check on that one. We took the cap off the clutch master cylinder, and SLOWLY pushed in the clutch pedal, no bubbles, the fluid didn't move...but I made an appointment at the stealership next week, we'll see what they come up with.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
TeamRooR is on a distinguished road

Name: Phil
TeamRooR's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a similar issue only not nearly as bad as you describe. I have replaced the slave cylinder and thought that took care of it, after 2-3 days of driving it appears to still mildly stick and sometimes to the floor.

I will be replacing it tomorrow or Sunday... Never done it before, a clutch master cylinder that is. Anyone know of a DIY on it? I have a 2003, 3.4L

Also picking up a cheap $25 part from advanced, it's their brad and starts with a P. I haven't heard great things about the brand?? Bad idea? It's all they have in stock? Anyone have any reconditions brand wise other than dealer?