1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not shifting right

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bruce N, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    Bruce N

Bruce N [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hi All- First time here. I've got a '99 X-Cab, 2.7, 4WD, manual trans. Bought it used in '01, just rolled over 200K. Runs awesome, never any problems, love it.

First problem just started a couple hundred miles ago. It doesn't feel like it is going into 4th, even though it does shift. The trans goes into 4th no problem, but at the lever it just feels like it's only part way. Notchy I guess is the way to describe it. Changed the trans oil and no better. All other gears are ok. Something in the trans, a shift linkage or something? I do all my own maintenance but not really up to a trans rebuild. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    First thought was an issue with worn stock shift seat and socket.

Easy to check them, just remove the boot console piece and you can get right to the shift lever top plate. OR you could just get some as they seem to be a decent piece of kit. Put them on mine and sure took the vibration and vague feeling out of the shift levers.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/parts-upgrade/heavy-duty-shift-lever-ball-seats

Worth a look at the minimum.

3. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Bruce N

Bruce N [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Looks like it would be a necessay upgrade. Probably soon before it jams and won't let me use 4th.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top