Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking to install dual battery's in my taco, need help

Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
MDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 1-158 Cav
Name: Mick
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to install dual battery's in my taco, need help

I am going to install 2 dual batteries in my 2004 tacoma and i am ordering a dual battery tray from http://www.columbiaoverland.com/ but it does not come with a wiring kit. Anybody know where I can get one for my truck?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
yes, you scroll down on the same page that shows that battery tray. they sell kits too
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
MDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
yes, you scroll down on the same page that shows that battery tray. they sell kits too
I saw that, but i am hoping i can find some cheaper then that.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you can build your own system too. depends on what bells and whistles you want.
can you give us a idea on how you want your system layed out?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
try 12voltguy
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
try 12voltguy
I like it. Gonna order from there this week. Thanks brutalguyracing
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
You're still on your own finding a wiring solution, but just a note: ATO makes a very nice dual-battery tray that doesn't require any relocating in the engine bay. You are required to run Optima yellow tops though to make it all fit so easily.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...5-tacomas.html
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
You're still on your own finding a wiring solution, but just a note: ATO makes a very nice dual-battery tray that doesn't require any relocating in the engine bay. You are required to run Optima yellow tops though to make it all fit so easily.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...5-tacomas.html
The Tray they make is for 05+ I have a 1st gen 04. I don't think it will work in mine
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtaco View Post
The Tray they make is for 05+ I have a 1st gen 04. I don't think it will work in mine
You are absolutely correct. Didn't even notice this was in 1st gen. Woops.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I made a dual battery tray for 12 bucks out of 1" angle iron, all thread and wing nuts. I put two Optimas in the fatcory location. I'm running an ASE electronics 100w battery isolator that will charge each battery individually. It also has the option to manually connect both batteries together to self "jump-start" if one battery falls below 11VDC.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
I made a dual battery tray for 12 bucks out of 1" angle iron, all thread and wing nuts. I put two Optimas in the fatcory location. I'm running an ASE electronics 100w battery isolator that will charge each battery individually. It also has the option to manually connect both batteries together to self "jump-start" if one battery falls below 11VDC.
Do you have any pictures you can post of it.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you can build your own system too. depends on what bells and whistles you want.
can you give us a idea on how you want your system layed out?
i just want to have one battery for aux and the other one just for running the truck. am i able to connect positive terminal to positive terminal and negative to negative teminal on the battery and have the regular terminals from the truck on the one battery? and if so will i be able to charge both?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

no, you need some sort of battery isolator to keep the batterys from draining each other (and to keep you from killing both batterys)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
MDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no, you need some sort of battery isolator to keep the batterys from draining each other (and to keep you from killing both batterys)
Do you think a 95amp Isolator would work well or should I go with a higher amp?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
medinacaver is on a distinguished road
medinacaver's Tacoma Gallery
you could check out 'Hellroaring Technologies'
www.hellroaring.com
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
HoookerDub is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: David
HoookerDub's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm going to ask a stupid question but what are the Pro's of running 2 batteries? And is it worth it putting into the truck? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoookerDub View Post
So I'm going to ask a stupid question but what are the Pro's of running 2 batteries? And is it worth it putting into the truck? Thanks.
Pros: 2's always better than 1! If your starting battery is dead you can jump yourself.
You can use the battery to help power high powered lights, kinda like having a capacitor so you don't drain too much power from the main battery and alternator (dimming of the headlights is how you can tell if your drawing too much off your current system).
Theres just endless uses for it, hook it up to a TV while your out camping, not have to worry about not starting, it'll charge back up next time you drive.

Cons: More weight, takes up some of your engine bay space (which theres a good amount of if you ask me).
Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
my layout is similar...
but I feel muh batteries are better secured.

wonder what group YT's that OP in the link was using...
would seem they have reversed terminals..! ? hmmm
they look to be a tad larger (spelled heavier) as well

Mine are group 34/78 YT's
only available in the standard terminal layout

think muh fenders appreciate the lesser weight