Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is this a good deal for a 1st gen?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a good deal for a 1st gen?

2002 Double Cab, TRD Off Road V6, 134k miles. Price is $10,998.

http://yakima.craigslist.org/ctd/3205515687.html
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Mxer256 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
It says prerunner on tail gate but then it says its a 4wd...somethings not right with that
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxer256 View Post
It says prerunner on tail gate but then it says its a 4wd...somethings not right with that
I don't see the 4wd shifter in the cab. Guessing that it is just mislabed in the ad. price seems a little high for a prerunner.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
I don't see the 4wd shifter in the cab. Guessing that it is just mislabed in the ad. price seems a little high for a prerunner.
Yeah I didn't catch that....I'm not buying a prerunner
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Alright guys, what's a good offer on this one. 2004 double cab TRD OR 4x4 with 143k on the clock. Their asking 16k for it. Thanks.

http://yakima.craigslist.org/ctd/3214128941.html
Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
NYTaco04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
NYTaco04's Tacoma Gallery
I'm all the way across the country in NY, but I just bought that exact truck for $13,500. Mine had 137,000 miles and the frame was replaced right before I bought it. The timing belt and water pump were also recently changed before I bought it. The price seems high to me, but location plays a big part in price differences. I don't think I got a great deal on mine, but it was rust free with a new frame in upstate NY so I took it. First gens have such a ridiculous resale value but everyone knows if they don't rot out, they last forever. Find out if the timing belt service was done and then start working them down on the price......
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
Alright guys, what's a good offer on this one. 2004 double cab TRD OR 4x4 with 143k on the clock. Their asking 16k for it. Thanks.

http://yakima.craigslist.org/ctd/3214128941.html
Way too high. See if he will come down though. Shoot for $10-13k.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Way too high. See if he will come down though. Shoot for $10-13k.
10-13k would be nice these things are priced pretty high in the PNW
Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
10-13k would be nice these things are priced pretty high in the PNW
true! My 03 was $15k a couple years ago. Id aim 12000 for the DC 4x4 if its clean
And look private party for a better deal
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Gold Member
TacoTom88 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
TacoTom88's Tacoma Gallery
Just my two cents... stay religious on auto trader. You can completely avoid sales tax and you can find some good buys if you check it everyday! I bought my 2nd gen 2006 with 103 on the clock for 13,750 cash. 1 owner clean car fax. Saving $1500 on sales tax is worth a shot! The guy lived in a subdivision and needed to get rid of a car because he was having to move one to get one out of the garage.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
true! My 03 was $15k a couple years ago. Id aim 12000 for the DC 4x4 if its clean
And look private party for a better deal
Whatever I get it's going to need a plate bumper
Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTom88 View Post
Just my two cents... stay religious on auto trader. You can completely avoid sales tax and you can find some good buys if you check it everyday! I bought my 2nd gen 2006 with 103 on the clock for 13,750 cash. 1 owner clean car fax. Saving $1500 on sales tax is worth a shot! The guy lived in a subdivision and needed to get rid of a car because he was having to move one to get one out of the garage.
How do you avoid sales tax? In NY it is paid when the vehicle is registered and re-titled. Can't see how you avoid it.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
jaunty is on a distinguished road
jaunty's Tacoma Gallery
just keep a close eye out and be patient. im in the nw too and ive seen couple good deals on those. a few weeks back one came out with 100K on it, crew cab, 2001 for 8600.
i bought my 99 TRD with 132k for 8400.

just be patient and be ready to jump on the good deals because every one of those links you provided, thats what the dealer did, and nows he's reselling them for way higher! THe dealers love to snag these all up
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Last time I checked kbb for my truck private party was 10K. 4x4 TRD (LOL). Mines got 140k. Maybe when the time comes to sell I should ask for more.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
thatoneguy is on a distinguished road
thatoneguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTaco04 View Post
I'm all the way across the country in NY, but I just bought that exact truck for $13,500. Mine had 137,000 miles and the frame was replaced right before I bought it. The timing belt and water pump were also recently changed before I bought it. The price seems high to me, but location plays a big part in price differences. I don't think I got a great deal on mine, but it was rust free with a new frame in upstate NY so I took it. First gens have such a ridiculous resale value but everyone knows if they don't rot out, they last forever. Find out if the timing belt service was done and then start working them down on the price......
I've got a budding question about this.. I'm aware of the rust-problem and the recall program.. My question: Is the warranty for the original owner of the truck only? If i buy a secondhand Tacoma, and the frame rusts within the 15 year extended corrosion warranty, can i walk into a dealer and get it fixed for free? This is my biggest question about these trucks.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
I believe if the truck has been inspected prior and is under the 15 year extended program than it doesn't matter who the owner is. Mine was replaced before I bought it from an independent auto dealer. They were the owner at the time the truck was inspected, failed and then had the frame replaced at a Toyota dealership. I then bought the truck from them. A co-worker of mine had his 01 DC re-framed two years ago, he was the second owner.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #17

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe if the truck has been inspected prior and is under the 15 year extended program than it doesn't matter who the owner is. Mine was replaced before I bought it from an independent auto dealer. They were the owner at the time the truck was inspected, failed and then had the frame replaced at a Toyota dealership. I then bought the truck from them. A co-worker of mine had his 01 DC re-framed two years ago, he was the second owner.
Good to know.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
thatoneguy is on a distinguished road
thatoneguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm, in that case, I wonder if it's not applicable if the original owner never sent it in.

I certainly don't wanna buy a truck that rapidly gets a swiss-cheese frame, with me paying the price.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Pretty sure the truck had to be inspected by Toyota by a certain date for it to be eligible for the 15 year extended warranty against frame corrosion. It doesn't matter who owns the truck as long as it was inspected before the deadline. The deadline for inspection also varied a bit from state to state. Best thing for you to do is run the VIN for any truck that you may purchase through Toyota to verify that it is covered under the extended program. In NY, there have actually been quite a few trucks on craigslist and autotrader with new frames being sold within the last six months. For me, I wanted a first gen DC and I waited until I found one that had been re-framed. I figured all the stuff that usually rots out under a vehicle here from the salt, has already been replaced. New frame, lower control arms, ball joints, fuel lines, brake lines, E-brake cables, leaf springs, shackles, and rear shocks. They also replaced two O2 sensors, new brakes all the way around and replaced all fluids and filters. Heck it's like half a new truck.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Checked their web site inventory for more info--it was not there.--do the auto's have a switch for 4x4? that was the first thing I looked for--did NOT see it.
$$$ a little high-$9999 cash--IF it is a 4X4. looked pretty clean from craigslist pics.
They a MANY SCAMMERS --just be careful.
I caught many SCAMMERS when looking for mine a couple years ago.
DEAL LOCAL ONLY--SEND NO $$$$