1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock Suggestions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Swimmerboy2112, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    Hey guys,

Well the time has come to replace the original shocks (131K) on my 02 Taco. The thing bounces around more than a set of DD's on a water bed.

My question is, what shock should I go with? I'm thinking about going with the Bilstein 5100's. Can I use them with the stock suspension (i.e. no lift)? I also plan on getting a small lift (1.5") in the future, so would these shocks be able to handle the lift as well?

Sorry for the newb questions, I searched and it seems there was more conflicting information than helpful information.

By the way the Taco has an ARB bumper (no winch yet) on the front and soon to have a Relentless Fabrication rear bumper.

-Brian

2. Aug 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
  3. Aug 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I would get 5100 front and 5125's rear since you plan to lift it soon. The 5125's I had for my stock leads was meant for 0-3" lift but I ran them with my stock leafs.

4. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Thank you for the response. I need to get this done as soon as I can because the ride is starting to take its toll on me, and i'd rather not wait until I can lift it if there's another option for me to use the same shocks stock and lifted.

5. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Give DSM a call, they'll give you the info you need

5100's f/r should be fine, though sonny/marco at DSM will let you know what would be best for your rear.

FWIW, I ran my AALs with "stock" length 5100's that I got before they started making extended 5100's, and they were fine. I wheeled them pretty good too, with no problems. they work with no lift as well.

that pretty flexing pic in the top right of the website is me with my stock 5100's and toytec AAL

edit:

also, as far as weight management of your ARB and relentless rear bumper, the shocks arent the weight bearing items, the coils and leaf springs are

6. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I ran the BE5-6252-H5 right and BE5-6253-H5 left (rear 5125's) on stock TRD leaf springs.

7. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    DSM? I'm assuming you're talking about Down South Motorsports, i'll give them a call Monday.

Nice pic on the banner! :cheers:

Regarding the edit, I'm aware that the shocks aren't weight bearing items although I thought the valving in the shock was partially related to the amount of weight put on the vehicle.

The correct OME coils and leafs will be another thread although i'm gathering as much info as possible so bear with me!

Good to know, thank you!

8. Aug 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Based on DSM's recommendations, you may encounter problems using 5100s without any rear lift. Details are posted here and here but, the bottom line is that they've found 5100s to be "too long for no lift". Instead, they recommend 5125s for "stock" height applications. I highly recommend a BPV bracket extension, but haven't found a diff drop to be required.

For the rest of your suspension-related questions, I recommend you spend some time perusing the Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide and Suspension Lift Info stickies.

9. Aug 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Thank you for that. Good to have some solid information.

Now why would I need a BPV bracket extension for a 1" lift? I would think such a small lift wouldn't matter.

I have been reading up on the Lift FAQ and think I know what I want to lift my Taco. (There is a TON more lift options on these Tacos than on my 86 4Runner lol)

Thanks again!

10. Aug 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    You'll need a BPV bracket anytime you lift the rear beyond stock cause it controls how much percentage the rear drums are used when braking with and without a load in the back. This is to make sure your front rotors don't take all the braking. JLee makes them and they are adjustable.

11. Aug 26, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Ah gotchya. I know what it does, just wasn't aware it was so sensitive.

Thanks!

12. Aug 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    x2, including the plug for JLee's OUTSTANDING workmanship. Highly recommended.

13. Aug 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab

Products Discussed in

To Top