1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought 02 Taco; transmission concern

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by whitemax, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    A V6 shouldn't have any more "linear" of a power band than any other engine does. Different engines will be tuned to have peak power or torque at a specific position within the engine's operating range. A lot of larger engines, like V8's, will have their power/torque points tuned low within their operating range, and appear to have a wider power band because they have a narrower operating range.

Light duty engines tend to be tuned to have their power/torque points high within their operating range and have wider operating ranges. This is what you are experiencing, the engine needs to be spun up (down shift) in order for it to be able to make significantly more torque as you are demanding of it.

Newer engines have the ability to control their tuning by advancing/retarding their valve timing based on a number of input factors, such as operating speed and throttle position. The 4.0 and 2.7 (2005 onwards) are so equipped. They are able to make significantly more torque at low speeds while maintaining a high peak power output, and thus don't always have to downshift as soon as your 3.4 does.

Now to compare your 3.4 to a very common chevrolet 4.3. Both are V6, both peak out at 190 hp, both lack variable valve timing, yet yours is a smaller displacement. The chevrolet has its power/torque tuned to a point lower in its operating band. This reduces the operating band and peak power output, but brings the torque on at a lower engine speed. The newer 4.0 can adjust itself lower than the chevrolet, and higher than your 3.4.

2. Aug 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Nowhereman04

Nowhereman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tar Hill Blue NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 04 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    Bilstein 5100's front, Bilstein 5125's rear
    My 04' has been doing this same tranny thing since it was new, and it has 98k on it now. Totally normal Bro. I've always heard good things about the auto tranny in 1st gen Tacoma's.

3. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    My Tacoma was my first automatic so I also noticed needing to get on it a bit to force it to shift to get some RPMs and more power. I do two things.
    1. I keep the ECT button on (to the left of the steering wheel). It changes the shift points and shifts a little more early so the RPMs won't drop as much before it shifts.
    2. Turn off the over drive (button on the side of the auto shifter). If you are going up a hill and don't want to floor it, turning off OD can shift you up and into RPMs that will give you much more power.

4. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I didn't read anything but your post but you better get it serviced like NOW, i had quotes up to $3300 to rebuild

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Did I lose a post, or did it get deleted? Hmm.
    I thought I remembered commenting that the ignition timing has been electronically controlled for a lot longer than just 2005 and up. My 1997 Tacoma has electronically controlled ignition timing. Pretty much if it doesn't have a distributor, it is electronically controlled, and even some that have an electronic distributor also have timing controlled by the computer.

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    whitemax

whitemax [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Foothills of N.C.
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5/TRD
    That's what I was initially thinking but if you'll read all the posts (which have been most helpful; thanks to all) you'll see that the condition seems to be quite normal. I did have the tranny serviced and all seems well. The mechanic mentioned something about the transmission accumulator spring (as BamaToy mentioned earlier) and also something about how the torque converter engages. It's all foreign to me mate.

7. Sep 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    dmcain

dmcain New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Southeastern US
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner
    Stock 2.7 $ cyl.
    I suspect the clunking that everybody is describing is the rear engine mount at the transmission. Brand new mount will do the same thing, the mount is just too loose and flexible. (?)

Products Discussed in

To Top