1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Modification Please help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cpc12, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Aug 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have an 01 Taco. I recently purchased a golf cart. The cart does not fit in the bed of my truck. The wheel wells are a little to narrow. I need about 4 more inches of width for it to fit in the bed.

I want to cut my wheel wells back to accommodate the space I need. I figured I could just rivet now metal to cover the holes and paint rhino liner over the repairs to keep it from rusting. I don't think I have to worry about wheel clearance since I never off road or drive hard.

Ill need to cut approx 3 inches off each wheel well, down to the bed floor. Does this make sense ??

Does anyone have anything to input about my idea.

2. Aug 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Is a trailer an option?

3. Aug 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    zachc113

zachc113 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just build a system like ramps up to the wheel wells or build a platform the same height as the wheel wells. or as sugested a trailer would be a good option

4. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If that golf cart is over 1000lbs, put it on a trailer.
    If it's over 500, you'll wish you had put it on a trailer.

5. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    trailer

6. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    go with a trailer! you will be glad you did!

7. Aug 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    cpc12

cpc12 [OP] Member

Member:
    does a golf cart weigh more than a quad ? Cart is about 900 pounds.

I hate trailers

Will it be unsafe to carry the golf cart in the back of the truck, I don't mind driving slow and carefully but don't want to roll the truck either ?

Thanks

8. Aug 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Golf carts are not exactly "well balanced" in the first place (I see then roll over all the time) and to be honest, a mod to the bed like you are talking would affect the structural integrity of the bed unless you used a strong enough sheet metal, and welded it into place. Not to mention you would KILL your resale value of your Tacoma. A small trailer would be my recommendation as well.

9. Aug 29, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    run a long chunk of chain in and around your bed, just the bed and back up to a tree and tie it off. Then drive like shit. Then put a flat bed on it.

should take a couple hours. and a couple bucks but'll look great

10. Aug 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    You can make anything fit just ask these local guys by me.:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    LOL^ niiice, if it was me I'd let the golf carts front tires sit on the wheel wells and strap her in around the back of it and let the tailgate stay down.

12. Aug 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    you could do it. but i would not! that kinda weight more than once or twice a year. is going to really shorten the life of the leaf springs. and you will have to replace them. also just puts more wear and tear on the truck.

why do you hate trailers? IMHO anything over 500 pounds i’d rather tow it. (unless it’s bags of dirt/top soil from lowes or HD. but any big items i’d rather tow.) also the little bigger the trailer is, the easier it tows some times.

13. Aug 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think that cop must not like whatever it is that they're dragging.
    Or maybe ordering them to add a red flag since its over 3 feet past the truck's tail lights? Aside from those two issues, looks pretty normal to me :confused:

14. Aug 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    lol I'm betting he mentioned the words "unsafe load" a few times in that conversation.

Yea OP I'd trailor it if its being hauled alot, your truck will like it so much more.

15. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    900lbs?

Yes... the golf cart will be unsafe in the bed.

If you cut the wheelwells, it will be even more unsafe. Some of the strength of the bed comes from that sheet metal.

16. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    whats wrong with trailers? way safer than cutting apart your truck to fit a golf cart.

17. Aug 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Trailer. Don't torch/cut the bed. You'll kill the value of the truck (if you ever want to resell) and you may compromise the integrity of the bed.

18. Aug 30, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    Ecnerwal

Ecnerwal Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Mass
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 2.7 A/T Ext Cab
    gradually replacing the bumper with hairy bondo ;-)
    I was uncomfortable with trailers for along time. However, part of moving to the taco (a 3 truck downsizing from a K3000 longbed Crew > F150 > Taco was that I had to have a trailer to haul the big stuff. I can fart a couple of peices of plywood into the bed with the tailgate gate down - even drywall if I block it up right - but for serious 4x8 hauling a trailer is needed, and likewise for serious weight a trailer is needed (man, that K3000 was a beast that took weight like nothing - but it drank like a fish, too.)

After the "put off for 30-odd years trailer backing learning curve" I'm happy as a clam with the trailer. Mine is wider than the truck (it's considerably larger than 4x8 - that was just the minimum needed), so I have to remember that and check the mirrors - a golf-cart specific one would not need to be so wide. Learning to back it was not a stunningly long process, but could be frustrating at times, and I still need a slight tuneup if I haven't used it for a few months, but it comes back quickly. Loading heavy stuff is much easier with the lower bed and a built-in ramp.

Do get the thing set up right, with adequate drop on your hitch adapter so the trailer runs level or very slightly nose-down, and keep the lights in good shape. And spend a few days practicing backing up, a lot, so you get over that (my understanding is that a longer trailer is actually easier to back up, as it's less "twitchy" than a shorter one, so keep that in mind when shopping - also good for hauling longer things...) Also, it's always OK to pull ahead a bit and take another stab at backing up - continuing backwards when things are not going right is where problems occur.

19. Aug 30, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I it's been mentioned already but get a trailer. The trailer will also be easier to load and unload since it's lower to the ground. I would not cut up the bed just to haul a golf cart.

20. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I would build a wood platform about the height of the wheel wells that would allow you to drive in. Park it backwards so the bulk of the weight is as far forward as possible. I've hauled over 900 lbs with my truck but I'm not sure what suspension you have.

Products Discussed in

To Top