Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Shock Relocation Question

Old 09-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
Make sure to add a larger bump since there is more leverage on the upper mount after the mod.
bumps stops ?

I'm still running the original bump stops @ factory height...
never had a problem with my upper or lower shock mounts from additional leverage issues.

in fact... I've had nothing but good results from doing this mod.

No more hits on the shocks from the leaf spring...
in fact... no issue of anything... for over 7 years since was installed.
And I've flexed the hell outta this rear suspension.

This might not hold true for those whom live in corrosive states
and don't maintain their vehicles well.
Rust and corrosion could weaken those upper mounts
and cause premature failure.

Not so here in the SW tho'
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
mmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT(Medic in trailing)
Name: Matt
mmcmahan2206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
^ to avoid shock body dents, utilizing the oem configuration,
made by contact with the leaf spring...

I spaced mine inboard 5/8"

* mine are the bilstein 5125 (8" n 8.5") shocks (up to 3" lift)
But this would work for other similar length shocks.

This is a great, effective, and awesome idea for moving the shocks inward and keeping the stock configuration, for sure! But since I'm wanting to relocate the shocks to avoid damage to the shocks from the leaf pack AND due to the u-bolt flip mod, it doesn't really work for me... Maybe that's what I'll do for the top mount, tho, to keep the shock like "l l" instead of getting even the slightest "\ /"!!! Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
bumps stops ?

I'm still running the original bump stops @ factory height...
never had a problem with my upper or lower shock mounts from additional leverage issues.

in fact... I've had nothing but good results from doing this mod.

No more hits on the shocks from the leaf spring...
in fact... no issue of anything... for over 7 years since was installed.
And I've flexed the hell outta this rear suspension.

This might not hold true for those whom live in corrosive states
and don't maintain their vehicles well.
Rust and corrosion could weaken those upper mounts
and cause premature failure.

Not so here in the SW tho'
Must be because I ran a lot of desert with this. Harder hits? IDK... All i know is my mounts broken and I did a shock relocation.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #24
mmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT(Medic in trailing)
Name: Matt
mmcmahan2206's Tacoma Gallery
FINALLY did it! I used 1" spacers on the top the way TacoDell did, and welded the bottoms to the axle allong with u-bolt flip mod. Feels and drives great so far... but haven't been off-road yet.

I'm so glad that I finally did this since all the parts I used are out of their boxes that took up my whole back seat! ha ha

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
I did the | | mounting of the shocks and it works out great the shocks don't max out so I get full flex. And it's better on road.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw the same thing happened to me...my right shock seems fucked now and doesnt damped like it should... i flipped them so maybe the body will be out of the way at full flex. I still wanna relocate though.