Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Shock Relocation Question

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
mmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT(Medic in trailing)
Name: Matt
mmcmahan2206's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Shock Relocation Question

So my leaf pack hit and bent in the side of my rear shocks after wheeling up in the mountains a couple of weekends ago. I didn't think I did too much crazyness, but it still found a way to flex and rub, and now there's an ugly spot where the shock is dented in and scraped the paint off.

My question is this: When relocating the rear shocks, what's the pros and cons to setting up your shocks like / \ compared to \ /???

I relaize that if I went \ / way, then I could still use the top shock mounts and just relocate the bottoms to the axle (which would be easier). But I just wanna know what's best.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful info!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Thought you were getting a Dodge???
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Joking.....but probably not.

Personally i've never seen shocks mounted like \ /. Not sure if that would even work.

And from what i've read mounting them like / \ gives you more flex but makes the shocks less effective.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
What's "best"?

Changing shock angle has several notable effects. What do you want the shocks to do? Provide more travel? Just clear the leaf springs? There are a lot of pluses and minuses to consider.

Inboarding at the bottom and outboarding at the top is NOT advised.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
mounting shocks like this is bad \ / it will dampen you when the truck goes up and down, but will do nothing to dampen lean and swaying side to side. like this / \ will get you the clearance you need as well as a little extra travel.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also, while doing this / \ will help, it lessens the shocks dampening ability. not a big deal, you just need to realize you are a little more limited if you like to wheel fast.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
like this / \ will get you the clearance you need as well as a little extra travel.
He will also get a lot less dampening with this configuration and sway/body roll with loads or towing could be problematic. He would need to compensate by going to a stiffer valving in the shock, or adding another suspension component like airbags/timbrens.

Even then, with stiff dampening, his truck might still have trouble dealing with loaded situations. But yes, he would gain rear axle travel provided his leafs/bumpstops don't limit it first.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
He will also get a lot less dampening with this configuration and sway/body roll with loads or towing could be problematic. He would need to compensate by going to a stiffer valving in the shock, or adding another suspension component like airbags/timbrens.

Even then, with stiff dampening, his truck might still have trouble dealing with loaded situations. But yes, he would gain rear axle travel provided his leafs/bumpstops don't limit it first.
noted that just afterwards, probably while you were typing
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
noted that just afterwards, probably while you were typing
Yeah, saw that afterwards. Happens
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

if nothing else, it just reinforces the statement.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Agreed.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
mmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmcmahan2206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So I've been talking to a guy at AllProOffRoad that questioned me on why I'd want 4 shock brackets instead of 2 and just reuse the top mounts while only relocating the bottom mounts onto the axle. And I've only really seen the \ / pattern, and am being told that the / \ pattern works fine, which is why I ask.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

All Pro makes shock brackets? I mean, i know they have the tools to, i just didn't know they did make them. what they may be telling you is to move the bottom mounts inwards jsut a little. our shocks actually sit tilted in at the top just a little from the factory, so he may be telling you to take them from / \ to | |. move the bottom mounts in a couple inches to get vertical shocks.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
All Pro makes shock brackets? I mean, i know they have the tools to, i just didn't know they did make them. what they may be telling you is to move the bottom mounts inwards jsut a little. our shocks actually sit tilted in at the top just a little from the factory, so he may be telling you to take them from / \ to | |. move the bottom mounts in a couple inches to get vertical shocks.
Ok, that makes sense. And keep the one shock forward and one shock backward setup?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcmahan2206 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. And keep the one shock forward and one shock backward setup?
correct. and based on the dent you posted the picture of (fairly minimal), you really don't have to move them over far, which would help keep the handling pretty much the same as what you have now.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
correct. and based on the dent you posted the picture of (fairly minimal), you really don't have to move them over far, which would help keep the handling pretty much the same as what you have now.
Ok, gotcha! Thanks for all the helpful info!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcmahan2206 View Post

^ to avoid shock body dents, utilizing the oem configuration,
made by contact with the leaf spring...

I spaced mine inboard 5/8"

* mine are the bilstein 5125 (8" n 8.5") shocks (up to 3" lift)
But this would work for other similar length shocks.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
I've done the same as Tacodell before doing my shock relocation. Make sure to add a larger bump since there is more leverage on the upper mount after the mod.