Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Surging/Rough Idle/Poor Acceleration/Starting Problems

Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
brunit is on a distinguished road
brunit's Tacoma Gallery
Surging/Rough Idle/Poor Acceleration/Starting Problems

Alright guys I have a 98 2.4l 5 lugger 2wd, about 108,000 miles on it. It's had a rough idle for awhile now, it didnt have it when I first got it with 72000 miles on it. I could live with that, but lately its been having more problems specifically surging/hesitating while just coasting or cruising and during low end acceleration. It also sometimes has a delay when I try to accelerate especially at lower speeds. Sometimes it surges and bucks like crazy. Also in the mornings and sometimes during the day when I try to start it up it cranks then dies. I have to rev it while cranking it to get it going. Now in the mornings I dont even bother with trying to start it without the revving, its that bad. Here's what I've tried, Changed spark plugs and Seafoamed, both through the vacumn line and just dropping it in the tank. Seamfoam seems to help slightly at first, but then I quickly start to have the same problem. What I wanted to see from anyone on here is what are the cheaper/more low cost things I can try to do before going in and having a mechanic charge to look at it and then pay a chunk for whatever they diagnose. Like what simple cleaning and maintenence should I try first, like cleaning maf, seafoam, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Can't hurt to clean your MAF and throttle body but I dont think that will help. Sounds like your not getting a good flow of gas. The Seafoam in your tank should clean up the injectors but when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
brunit is on a distinguished road
brunit's Tacoma Gallery
I took it into a Toyota dealership a few months ago and they recommended replacing it, the part was only like 40$ but they wanted to charge 400-500$ to install it because its apparently very difficult to get to on my truck. I'm ok with doing basic maintenance but bigger things I don't have experience doing.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a "how to" (just scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html