Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6

Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
regkeg is on a distinguished road

Name: Dick
regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6

Been around a while and have done a ton of reading which has helped me a lot. So, for all of your help, I thank you, but I still have some cloudy areas with my current suspension project. Even though Iíve read a ton about suspension and lifts on this site I need some clarification and help on deciding how, and how much, to lift my truck.

Current info is:
  • 2000 Tacoma 4wd ext. cab, 3.4L V6 and 5spd. Man. Trans. w/stock suspension and 81,000 miles
  • Has canopy on bed
  • Just recently installed ARB bumper and Warn XD9000 Winch
  • Stock suspension all around
  • Installation of bumper and winch lowered front end 5/8Ē from stock ride height
  • Iím not going to see how deep a mud hole I can go through our how deep a river I can cross and Iím not going to be getting any ďairĒ. This is a daily driver and my hunting rig. I donít haul much in the way of heavy loads and I donít tow anything
  • It came stock with 31x10.50x15 tires and they rubbed under full lock on the pinch weld with stock wheels
  • I changed to 30x9.50x15 tires on some wheels with more offset I had left over from my 1995 Tacoma 4wd so I could chain up during hunting in deep snow and that is the size I run year round now even though they will also rub on the pinch weld area under full lock and some flex.

Iím wanting to get back to running some 31x10.50x15s and thus I need to raise the front end and will also do the back end to keep it reasonably level. I actually prefer the rear to be a little higher than the front.

My thought is to go with Bilsteins up front and possibly some OME or similar coils along with the Bilsteins and probably just use some 2Ē shackles in the rear. Iíll probably do the rear springs a little later but for now am thinking just shackles. I know this isnít the big buck lift some of you do but Iím not looking to do any ďextreme rock crawlingĒ and donít have an unlimited budget.

If I lost 5/8Ē up front by the bumper and winch installation, will Bilsteins and some coils get me about 2.5Ē-3Ē lift up from my current ride height and should I be looking at a spacer kit for the front diff and also for the rear hanger bearing? I donít want any problems with vibration and donít want to put unnecessary strain on the cv joints and driveline.

Iíve probably neglected something but hope this gives you a good idea of where I am and where I want to go. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i had similar needs for my old 2000 tacoma. had a heavy bumper (no winch though). went with bilstein 5100s set at 0" and eibach coils and lightracing UCAs in the front and bilstein 5100s and the toytec AAL in the rear. I didn't need a diff drop, but I did add a beefedtaco driveline drop bracket. Running 31x10.5r15 BFG all terrains. Very much liked it.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Mount Sannine is on a distinguished road

Mount Sannine's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2000 extra cab with arb bull bar and winch
Installed ome suspension in front and rear
Then wanted more lift up front so instlalled spacers over the shocks (should have installed stonger springs)
The did a diff drop,
And now wanting to lift the back by adding longer shackles
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
Call Wheelers Offroad and get a full OME kit. It will run u about 1k and ask for Dan. I run it with 882 springs and Dakars and love it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i had similar needs for my old 2000 tacoma. had a heavy bumper (no winch though). went with bilstein 5100s set at 0" and eibach coils and lightracing UCAs in the front and bilstein 5100s and the toytec AAL in the rear. I didn't need a diff drop, but I did add a beefedtaco driveline drop bracket. Running 31x10.5r15 BFG all terrains. Very much liked it.

My buddy bought your rig!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
haha awesome! it was a great truck... i miss it now that i've sold my tundra and gone back to a tacoma.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
haha awesome! it was a great truck... i miss it now that i've sold my tundra and gone back to a tacoma.
im actually running your 5100's and eibach springs on my truck now
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
EWhitman11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eli
EWhitman11's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man I dont have a winch or different front bumper but I lifted my 03 with Toytec coilovers with the Bilsteins inside of that. I put 2" shackles in ther rear. I got my stuff from Toyteclifts.com. Cost me about $900ish.
This is what it looked like after. Keeping in mind I didnt adjust the Bilsteins in the front, this is how they came out of the box.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the info and help guys. After looking and reading till I'm cross-eyed I'm thinking I'll go with an OME full suspension set from ToyTec with the rear AAL and 882 coils up front.

I know that I don't need the full lift height but I want to run 31s and have to be able to chain up so the diameter of the 31s when chained up will be similar to 33s.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
bzwarts is on a distinguished road

Name: brad
bzwarts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Sannine View Post
I have a 2000 extra cab with arb bull bar and winch
Installed ome suspension in front and rear
Then wanted more lift up front so instlalled spacers over the shocks (should have installed stonger springs)
The did a diff drop,
And now wanting to lift the back by adding longer shackles
have been thinking on the diff drop. how does the diff go down without hitting the motor mount crossmember? i looked but cant see how it would fit. please help thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same bumper and a warn 8000lb winch and this is how my truck sits with 5100's and eibach coils. The tires are 265/75's which are a similar size to 31x10.50's. I also have full skids which probably weighs the front down a little more too.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regkeg View Post
It came stock with 31x10.50x15 tires and they rubbed under full lock on the pinch weld with stock wheels
Really? I've never had that problem.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #16

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
I've got it pretty much all done except for the diff drop kit which will go on in the morning.

Before lift with old tires:

After lift with new tires installed. In both of these pics the truck is sitting on an incline with the front end higher than the rear.

Attached Thumbnails
Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6-autozone-before-lift-resized.jpg   Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6-autozone-after-lift-new-tires-resized.jpg   Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6-imag1217-cropped-resized.jpg   Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6-dsc03151-resized.jpg   Need a little help with suspension mods on 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6-dsc03152-resized.jpg  

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #18

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
Badass dude! What did you end up doing? Those toyos are the tits BTW What size are they?
I went with a ToyTec OME-9504TAC Suspension/lift w/882 coils and the rear AAL. The tires are Toyo Open Country 31x10.50x15s. I went with this size instead of 33s so that I could chain up all 4 this winter without any clearance problems up front.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regkeg View Post
I went with a ToyTec OME-9504TAC Suspension/lift w/882 coils and the rear AAL. The tires are Toyo Open Country 31x10.50x15s. I went with this size instead of 33s so that I could chain up all 4 this winter without any clearance problems up front.
That looks really good. Did you measure hub center to fender before and after? Just curious how much lift you gained.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #20

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailRated View Post
That looks really good. Did you measure hub center to fender before and after? Just curious how much lift you gained.
I measured before and after. I expected to get 3" in the front and 2" in the rear but I actually ended up with just under 4" in the front and just under 3" in the rear. I'll run then a week or so and see if they settle any.