1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by angieford86, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I need some help, I have a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner Xtra cab and i have noticed a weird noise after I have been driving for a little while. It started off barely noticable but now I hear it all the time. I thought something was loose or something. I took it to a shop and had them do a full inspection. They told me I needed a new tie rod end so I had them replace that. The noise was still there. So I took back in and replaced a Rack and Pinion and I thought that was the end of it. No the sounds is still there. It seems like it is coming from the driver side tire area. It is hard to describe the noise but it sounds like "duh duh duh duh duh". The only other thing I can think of to replace is the shocks but I don't know if that will solve the problem. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas what it might be?

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sounds like the repair shop you are taking it to is using the shotgun approach to diagnosing a problem. The root cause needs to be found. Do you have a cell phone that can take video/audio? Or any type of camera that can capture the noise? Noises like you are describing can be a challenge, and hearing it would give us an idea of what type of harmonics and frequency we are looking at. What speed do you hear this the most? Does it change as you accelerate, or stay the same? Does it change when you apply the brakes, or stay the same? Does the noise change based on road speed, or engine speed? Also any information on mods (as Ryan mentioned a lift) would be helpful. Is it stock or modified? Which engine does it have, and is it a manual or automatic?

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Could be the tire is out of balance or has some bad worn spots on it, both of these you would usually feel a vibration or feel something while driving.

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I don't think it is lifted and I have had the shop rotate and balance all tires too but it is still sounding like it is coming from the same general area. It is not that loud so its hard to capture. I notice it most when I am just coasting and not applying gas because the motor kind of drowns out the noise. I drive on a lot of crap roads to work and back but I also hear it around town as well. It is an automatic 6cyl, 2wd.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Again, what SPEED (25mph? 40mph? 60mph?)are you noticing this, and does the noise get louder as the vehicle increases in speed? I am actually getting a feeling you may be looking at a wheel bearing...not sure why, just a feeling right now.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    the speed range of 20-45

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Bearings eh, well I am pretty sure the shop looked at those during their inspection but I will get a second opinion at a different shop.

8. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    She never said that it was only audible when coasting, she said "I notice it most when I am just coasting and not applying gas because the motor kind of drowns out the noise." So I was considering the possibility that it was a bearing. When first failing and engine under acceleration could mask it as she mentioned.

OP, while the shop may have inspected them, I wouldn't rely on their opinion considering they already tried twice to fix the nose and failed. Have a second shop reinspect. I'd be happy to have my shop check it out, but too far a drive. lol. A list of things that could be making a noise similar to what you describe are:

1. Wheel bearings
    2. brake pads
    3. rotor contacting backing plate
    4. caliper pins/slides bent
    5. rotor warped
    6. tire noise (bad tire due to: bubble, tread, incorrect roadforce balance)
    7. front CV joint (if 4x4)
    This is not all inclusive, but are some points to look at. Also, you mentioned they replaced the tie rod. Did they check the rack and pinion bushings on the rack itself? I have heard of a few guys on here mentioning they have had bad bushings.

9. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Djrichone

Djrichone Member

Member:
    Vista, ca
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner 2.4 4x2 auto
    I have similar noise but it can be heard when car is off and I wiggle the steering wheel. :(

10. Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    got ya. My bad, I misread your post.

11. Sep 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    they replaced the entire rack and pinion...so im assuming they replaced the bushings on that. It makes the noise all the time but you're right that I hear it most when i take my foot off the gas. It also only does it after I have driven it for a few miles first, like whatever it is has to heat up first which could also be bearings.

Products Discussed in

To Top