1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing 1960 Triumph TR3a on Trailer

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RandallS, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM
    RandallS

RandallS [OP] Member

Member:
    Whitehouse, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Extra cab, V6, 4wd
    Reese hitch, electric brake package, round light connector
    Hi All,

I am new to the site and hoping for some advice. I have a 2004 Tacoma, V6, 4WD with a Reese hitch, electric brake package, and round light connector, 68,000 one owner miles. I just bought the truck from my brother-in-law but do not yet know if the towing items were added after purchase or if the truck came with a factory towing package. Tomorrow, I want to use a 2200 pound car hauler trailer to haul a 1990 pound Triumph 640 miles. Is this doable? The truck is rated at 5000 pound towing capacity and 500 pound tongue weight. Total towed weight is 4200 pounds. The battery was removed from the TR3 to reduce the weight and it's fuel tank is empty. The Tacoma bed is also empty and there is nothing in the extended cab. I will be alone, with my McDonald's coffee, so it's just my 200 pounds added to the total weight and of course a full tank of gas. Hoping for some good advice if this is okay to do. By the way, I love this truck. Just put new Michelin Latitude Tours on and also replaced the front wheel bearings which was a shock in itself but now the truck is as quiet as my wife's Grand Marquis and rides nearly as well.

2. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Yea you can tow it just take it easy, how far you going? I towed about 5500lbs with mine for 20 miles, your gonna be able to feel it back there just go easy. This would of gotten more responses in the towing sub-forum, but its ok theres alot of sub-forums on this site
    :D A TRD that wont drive you say...:bananadead: :laugh:

3. Sep 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Are you racing that TR3 somewhere????

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    RandallS

RandallS [OP] Member

Member:
    Whitehouse, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Extra cab, V6, 4wd
    Reese hitch, electric brake package, round light connector
    Hi All,

Thank you for the info on towing. I finally decided to have the car shipped after U-Haul said I was too close to the 5000 pound towing limit and they did not want to rent me their Auto Transport trailer with dual axles. It weighs 2000 pounds and the TR3a weighs 2100 pounds. I also had about 75 pounds of tools with me. Shipping the TR3a 650 miles, fully insured in an enclosed trailer, was $500.00 even. To rent the trailer, the gas for the trip and the turnpike tolls, was only $100.00 less. Not to mention my stress levels during the trip.

I will not be racing the TR3. It is a restoration project and I just want to enjoy driving it around with my wife and kids. But if I could find the Judson supercharger for that engine somewhere..................

Products Discussed in

To Top