Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

60+ mph vibration

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
60+ mph vibration

So I have a 98 sr5 4x4 with a 3" suspension lift. I got a diff drop put on but Im still getting a weird vibration when Im on the freeway or any time over 60 mph. I feel it in the wheel, on the pedal, and in the cab itself.

Its nothing crazy. I mean I dont think its causing any major problems or anything. Im just wondering if it is something I should be worried about or is this just a yota problem.

THANKS!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
not sure if the 98 has a CB? but you might look into this and get a drop bracket
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Also, you may not need a carrier bearing drop bracket too. I got the smallest bracket offered, and it didnt help. I resorted to adding washers until it stopped.

Just check your U joints, lube it and see how it is. If it continues, try washers first

Edit: have you had an alignment done?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
rysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant future

Marines:
Name: Ryan
rysully's Tacoma Gallery
Check and make sure your wheels are properly balanced. Whens the last time you rotated or balanced them?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Truck yeah!
Wild Card will become famous soon enough

EMS: Army Vet, now an EMT/Firefighter
Name: Doug
Wild Card's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, wheels being out of balance was also my first thought.

As the tread goes down, those weights on the wheels that were previously counterbalancing the not-perfectly-symmetrical weight of the wheel rubber tend to start throwing off the wheel balance themselves, when all of that rubber they were balancing out disappears....

Easy to bring it to a shop and have them re-balance your wheels. Won't cost much, and you can rule that out later.

Where do you feel it? Up front, or rear? Any sides?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
do you drive in mud/dust? have you washed out you inner wheels lately if so?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren1512 View Post
So I have a 98 sr5 4x4 with a 3" suspension lift. I got a diff drop put on but Im still getting a weird vibration when Im on the freeway or any time over 60 mph. I feel it in the wheel, on the pedal, and in the cab itself.

Its nothing crazy. I mean I dont think its causing any major problems or anything. Im just wondering if it is something I should be worried about or is this just a yota problem.

THANKS!
A lot of good suggestions so far. Too much axle angle can cause such a vibration.

What gave you 3" of lift? Toytec Eibach coils? Where is the purch/coil bucket set on your 5100s? Lowest setting?

Got any pics of your front axles?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
A lot of good suggestions so far. Too much axle angle can cause such a vibration.

What gave you 3" of lift? Toytec Eibach coils? Where is the purch/coil bucket set on your 5100s? Lowest setting?

Got any pics of your front axles?
I got 5100s frOnt and 5150s rear. I think I'll start by getting everything realigned and balanced and see if that helps. Then I'll move on to the cb. Have we confirmed that I do in fact have a cb?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Deer Dropper
TACO3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
TACO3's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the same thing. i also have a 3 inch lift and 60+ it was just an annoying vibration/ shake.. im going tomorrow to get balance an alignment. keep us posted
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO3 View Post
Mine did the same thing. i also have a 3 inch lift and 60+ it was just an annoying vibration/ shake.. im going tomorrow to get balance an alignment. keep us posted
How'd it go?