1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pulling a 3.4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hambone155, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sep 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    my motor has reached 216k its either time for a full motor or a re-build for it.

to pull the 5vz-fe how labor intensive is it? to be honest it looks like a pretty easy pull.

i have blow by that keeps burning, and flowing plugs. its in 3 and 4.

at u-pull it in town they have one and im wondering if its worth the hassle, all cars have to be driven in and or run. doesnt mean they run well.

180 with all acc.... or 600 for ring and piston kit?

2. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    yummjake

yummjake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    00' EXT Tacoma 4wd
    5100's, Toytec coils, all-pro standard 3" lift leaf springs.
    My father and I pulled the engine out of mine when we bought it, it wasn't to bad, take it slow, label your parts and try not to force anything and you should be golden. Hope that helps.

3. Sep 15, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    It is not an impossible job to undertake. As mentioned, label everything. One suggestion I make to those who are new to pulling engines (and sometimes I do it myself still) is to get you a box of ziplocks and as you remove certain groups of bolts, but them in the bags and label them (i.e. "alternator bolts", "starter bolts", "left exhaust manifold bolts") This will make it a LOT easier when you go to but things back together, and back in. Also, take a LOT of pictures as you disassemble things (like vacuum lines, electrical harness routing, fuel line routing) so that when you go to put it all back, you will have a reference in case you can't remember something.

4. Sep 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Engine pulling in and of itself is not easy, but as far as engine pulling goes, the 3.4L looks pretty average.

5. Sep 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    ive pulled mine apart a few times, just done know if a rebuild is worth it on 216k motor or if i go get a 100k one from the yard and put it in..... and save $400

i think the swap is my decision, i trust my self with internals but dont feel like its the most cost effective way, and if i up the compression back to its original with that many miles, the block will probably pop like a zit.....

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    The block is the strongest, most durable part of the engine. It is not going to "pop". When you buy a "remanufactured" or "rebuilt" engine, they take the original block, clean and hone it, and then install the replacement parts. Your block is reused unless there is a crack in it. So if you want to get a rebuild kit and do it yourself, then I say go for it. The biggest issue would be cylinder wear. You can take the block itself to a rebuilder and they will usually mic it and give you an indication of the condition. They might recommend reboring, and if so, then you will need to consider if you want to do that or not. My 2.7 was rebored by I believe .020" and had the correct sized pistons installed for the rebore. However sometimes you can have minimal wear, and just put factory pistons and rings back in. The only way to know what your original engine will need is to have it inspected.

7. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    i plan on rebuilding the enigne i have now after a machine shop tests it out, does a boil and cleans it good, i plan on building the motor for some power.

8. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    One thing to consider is a rebuilt motor will not be a Toyota build quality motor. You may have 0 miles on a rebuilt but the likelihood that it will out last a used motor that was built by Toyota is slim. That was one thing I considered when I changed my motor out. Ended up finding a used motor with 122k and its still running great 20k later.

9. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    216k isnt a lot for this engine btw. You thinking about porting your intake/exhaust while your at it?

10. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    I have 230k on mine and one day i might just pull it and do a rebuild one day

11. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    its loosing compression on the middle two so cylander 3 and 4. its been supercharged from mile 1. when i swap it im leaving the super off for a while until i rebuild my original block and put a good amount of cash into it.

12. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I have to disagree with you. Toyota does not have a corner market on their engine builds. I have rebuilt engines from Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, and others and have seen them with well over 200k after my rebuild. The quality of an engine has to do with multiple things:

1. Proper cleaning of parts before rebuilding
    2. Cleanliness of the rebuild area and tech's "clean working" methods
    3. Proper use of tools for boring, mic measurements, honing, turning, etc.
    4. Quality of parts
    5. Proper assembly procedure and clearance measuring
    6. Proper oil testing and post cleaning after run-in
    7. Proper installation and breaking in
    A quality job can last just as long. Toyota and other manufacturers mass-produce their engines, building them by the hundreds. A QUALITY machine shop and builder can take his time to do the job properly and get the same quality of an engine as the manufacturer can.

13. Sep 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    zadeer

zadeer P-Troll'r

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    '03 Access Cab SR5
    Pulling engines is hard, especially the first time. Label, picture, label again, and picture again! It's a pain, but never try to rely on the human brain to remember much more than 15 pieces and where they go! Good suggestion above, large/small ZIPLOC's are very helpful, lots of masking tape, zip ties, muffin tins, anything that helps you organize nuts/bolts/hoses/lines easier. Take your time, it's really easy to start pulling and pulling before you realize you forgot what parts go where.

My route would be to pull the current engine and drop it off at a builder. They can check for any possible issues, especially cracks not seen by the naked eye. In the mean time, snatch up a 5vz from the pick-n-pull and toss it in there. If the builder comes back and gives you a green light for the block, start building! You mentioned you were looking for power (specifically supercharged), if all checks out on the block then start looking for some forged internals that will better handle the supercharger. Best of both worlds: still have your truck on the road (with about the same power/performance), plus a nice block to build the power you want!

14. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Hambone155

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    It's been pulled, three hours in the junk yard. The t100 has had its heart removed. Went pretty smooth but some of the trans bolts are hard to get to. A lot easier than a Mazda 3 motor that's forsure. The swap will come later probably do a time lapse video. But all in all I got a ton off goods. All accessories IE alternator, compressor, power steering, and whole harness.

Products Discussed in

To Top