Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whole Truck shakes at about 60mph NOT tire balance

Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
TacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really nice

Name: Colson
TacoHell's Tacoma Gallery
Whole Truck shakes at about 60mph NOT tire balance

I know there are some threads on here about this but they never seem to post what the results were of the problem.

But my whole cab shakes at about 60-65 mph and i know its not the balance or rims because i actually work at a tire shop and do it all myself.

I have replaced the carrier bearing of driveshaft, 2 u-joints, both inner-outter tie rods. and cab still shakes its not a vibration. have also checked all 4 wheel bearings and they are good.

I have seen that there are steering rack and is it sway bar bushings? I see the kits on Energy suspension, but have these kits solved problems like this for people?

If anyone has experience or opinions on this could share their wisdom please reply

Thanks everyone
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
does the vibration go up and down with engine rpm or with road speed?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
TacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really niceTacoHell is just really nice

No the shaking does not change with rpm, i can put it in neutral and it will still do it if going around 60-65.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Did you have the driveshaft balanced after replacing the u joints ?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
Did you have the driveshaft balanced after replacing the u joints ?

No i did not have it balanced, but i dont think its a drive shaft problem because it even vibrates in neutral..or does the drive shaft still spin in nuetral going 60-65? and would i have to take it to a driveline shop to get it balanced?

@Digiratus....I can not tell if its a shake in the seat or the steering wheel, i mean the whole cab shakes, and i know it sounds exagerated but its not. i have not tried driving in 4hi at those speeds since the problem started.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
The rear drive shaft turns any time your rear wheels roll.

edit: except when both wheels are off the ground.
ah ok yes makes all the since in the world ha.

I will see about getting it balanced and check to see if its bent at all.

Thanks for all the quick replies fellas.

Any more opinions please feel free to post. If i havent posted that it has been solved, with the solution. i will be visting to see comments.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
That PIA joint on the very back end of the driveshaft....Twin u-joints and if put together differently than factory...

Oh $hit chase your tail vibration.... Been there....Shop said they marked it BUT we/they ended up getting it checked anyway...OOPS..

Yes, one u-joint was on its way out BUT the reason I took it to my old shop was they Knew what to do and I could get it back the same day...NOT..

OP, have everything checked TWICE,even the new u-joints...$hit happens GOOD LUCK .....
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
noletaco57 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shane
noletaco57's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrations

If your getting a vibration with it in neutral you might want to have a certified mechanic check your motor mounts thats usually the culprit if your cab vibrates in neutral. Again a certified mechanic not a shade tree or a buddy that knows somebody who's brother has a friend that is a mechanic.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #11

Hey shake is almost completley gone, i greased the yoke it look a lot of grease and greased the two u-joints directly behind the carrier bearing, also did a carrier bearing drop of about 3/8-1/2inch.

The shake has now turned into a small shimmy that is very tollerable.

The drive shaft looked to be true with back end jacked up and in gear it looked perfectly round and no wobble at all.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Ariel03 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ariel
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
I have the exact same problem!! What do i need to fix this??
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
GREASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel03 View Post
I have the exact same problem!! What do i need to fix this??
He greased the drive line=most vibes vanished.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
^ tire balancing does not require a "Hunter" spin balance machine to get it right.
what is needed is simply a lug centric backing plate.

Often the backing cones selected for some wheels
may be of an improper fit...
and tho' one could get lucky... many times it's not the case.

1st gen tacoma are lug centric...
later model tacoma are hub centric.

I get my tires balanced at America's tire (Discount tire/same)
Had problems early on...
talked them into purchasing a lug centric backing plate to spin balance my tires...
they did... and since... muh 1st gen tire balance is fine.
And I continue using their services.

Of course if other components are fubar...
no matter how well the tires balance...
there will still be issues.

Driveline and steering rack issues are often culprit to vibrations
U-joints, drive shaft imbalance, lack of lubrication, out of phase, etc.
Steering rack mount bushings, I/OTRE play, etc.

and let's not forget... a proper/current front wheel alignment.

It's easy to rule out tire imbalance if that is done correctly.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I had a patch put on my rear tire at ETD tire,I was worried I would have problems since they had to take my wheel and tire off, but,I guess they knew what they were doing because it's ok.Thank God!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #17
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
^ tire balancing does not require a "Hunter" spin balance machine to get it right.
what is needed is simply a lug centric backing plate....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the explanation...bottom line, many shops, including many of the Americas/Discount Tire do not have this 'plate', whether or not they have the Hunter Balancing Machine....

I will tell you this, all my previous balances WITHOUT this plate paled by comparison...

It is an ongoing problem across the country...there have to be 1000's of Tacos with slight to medium vibration problems due to improper balancing procedure's...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Ariel03 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ariel
Ariel03's Tacoma Gallery
On my way back home from class, I was slowing down and the whole cab was shaking soo much i pulled over. I got off to the side, kept rolling and it stopped, so I drove for a little while longer till I got home. For some reason i toughed my lug nuts and they were really warm, touched the other side and they were cool. Told my bro about it and to take it for a drive to see himself, and he never made it 1 foot from the curb.
Apparently there is a bolt missing now.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
slowstride is on a distinguished road
slowstride's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rear end shudder

I too have been chasing a rear end shudder at 60-65mph on my first generation tacoma.

It happens both with my generation 1 steel wheels and with my generation 2 alloys which are both fitted with michelin tires and are both used on the same vehicle.

Shudder is more severe when braking down hill. It is not the brakes. Mechanic machined rear drums etc, despite me telling him I did not think it was a brake problem. Needless to say the problem was still there after he 'fixed it'

Mechanic also said u-bolts and drive shaft were fine, based on a visual inspection.

Also continuous rear end shudder at 60-65mph when towing trailer with 2 dirt bikes.

To me it feels like something is out of balance in the rear axle

Does this sound familiar to somebody who has solved this problem?

Also, I live in SW Colorado, anybody know of a decent tacoma mechanic in Montrose, Colorado?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Heres my fun adventures with vibrations, and finally a solution

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...n-problem.html