1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 Taco Head Gasket Going?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by johnnys96taco, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sep 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    johnnys96taco

johnnys96taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, V-6 5spd
    2" front, 2 1/2 rear lift
    Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? 3.4 V6 just turned 217,000 mile, looses about a quart of coolant every couple of months but I don't do a lot of driving with it. Don't see any leaks. When I start the truck usually after is sits a couple of days, I notice like a misfire then it smooths out after about 10 seconds or so.Sometimes I get some light white smoke for about 30 seconds. Today after the truck sat for about a week or so I started it and had the misfiring and a crap load of white smoke which took about a minute to subside. Truck smoothed out and ran fine after that and does not smoke at all after she heats up. I'm 99% sure that I have a weeping head gasket into at least one cylinder but just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or thinks that there is anything else it could be?

2. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    bud, i had a mustang 4.6 long story same problem.... keep close eye on coolant level, DO NOt ALLOW TO OVER HEAT WILL DESTROY ENGINE, but its just one of those age things...

3. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    HawaiiTRD

HawaiiTRD "Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM DCSB TRDOR
    Diamondback SE, FITCAMX
    I had a 1986 pickup with 240k miles, with the exact same problems you're having and it was my head gasket. Usually when coolant mysteriously disappears and white smoke shoots out the muffler, it's the head gasket.

4. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    johnnys96taco

johnnys96taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, V-6 5spd
    2" front, 2 1/2 rear lift
    Thanks, I guess I was just grasping at straws and hoping it could be something minor. With these miles, I'll just keep an eye on the coolant and hope she doesn't blow. It runs cool and has not been overheated. It's a great truck but she's kind of beat up now and not worth putting too much money into.

5. Sep 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sounds like you are on the right track suspecting the head gasket, or other issues, allowing coolant into one or more cylinders. I would suggest getting it looked at now, before something worse happens and increases the cost of a repair.

Products Discussed in

To Top