1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Catalytic Converter is Smoking - Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DoubleTaco2004, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    DoubleTaco2004

DoubleTaco2004 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Wilmette
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Beauty
    Just installed this new Walker (front) catalytic converter in my 2004 tacoma:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...10252-p?searchTerm=catalytic+converter+walker

And this new AF sensor:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...t-denso_20471798-p?searchTerm=denso+o2+sensor

I replaced the stock catalytic converter that had two AF senors in it in the bank 1 upstream area before the catalytic converter. I purchased truck used and the previous own put an aftermarket AF gauge in, which explains the additional senors in that cat.

I installed the new cat as mentioned above with correct gaskets before and after the converter. But there seems to be smoke coming from behind the heat shield of the cat as well as the area where the down pipe of this cat meats the top manifold. Smells like burning rubber a little.

Question: is this normal? Could it be the gasket burning/molding into place? There was a bit of plastic wrapping/adhesive on the converter when I got it from Advanced Auto...could it be burning that? I made sure the connections were tight. I also applied some anti-seize on the bolts where i connected the cat...could it be that burning?

Also, check engine light is now throwing: P0420 (which it was doing prior to new cat install) as well as P0031 (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0031)

Any help is much appreciated. So much for installing what seemed to be a pretty easy job :(

Thanks
    ken

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If there was any preservative on the cat, it could smoke, or it could be anything used to attach the gaskets, like ATV, or the like.

3. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    kgw

kgw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kgw
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    140 amp alternator, Big 3 upgrade, Ultimate Headlight Mod, Trans Cooler
    Most new exhaust system parts will smoke until they "burn" in...Might take a few days to a week.

Products Discussed in

To Top