Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snugtop parts question...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
greenmonk is on a distinguished road
greenmonk's Tacoma Gallery
Question Snugtop parts question...

Question for you guys who have a Snugtop or have ever had to replace a part on a Snugtop. I have a '97 x-cab with a Snugtop SuperSport that I bought back in 2001. Well, the LED 3rd brake light doesn't work anymore. It looks like it got moisture in it.

Anyways, I have to buy a replacement light because in Virginia (where I live) they do safety inspections every year and I was told that if I didn't replace it before my next inspection, I would fail. The closest Snugtop dealer (over 700 miles away) wants $75 + shipping for the replacement light. That seems kind of high to me. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem and used a generic LED brake light instead. If you have, where did you go? Also, is it easy to replace myself? I don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me unless absolutely necessary.

Any help would be appreciated. This doesn't have to be done until Spring next year, so I've got some time to look around the internet to see if there is anything I can do that's cheaper. It just has to be done.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonk View Post
Question for you guys who have a Snugtop or have ever had to replace a part on a Snugtop. I have a '97 x-cab with a Snugtop SuperSport that I bought back in 2001. Well, the LED 3rd brake light doesn't work anymore. It looks like it got moisture in it.

Anyways, I have to buy a replacement light because in Virginia (where I live) they do safety inspections every year and I was told that if I didn't replace it before my next inspection, I would fail. The closest Snugtop dealer (over 700 miles away) wants $75 + shipping for the replacement light. That seems kind of high to me. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem and used a generic LED brake light instead. If you have, where did you go? Also, is it easy to replace myself? I don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me unless absolutely necessary.

Any help would be appreciated. This doesn't have to be done until Spring next year, so I've got some time to look around the internet to see if there is anything I can do that's cheaper. It just has to be done.
Can't you just take the topper off before going in for the inspection?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I posted a while ago I got my brake light/interior dome light combo for $50 plus shipping from truckoutfittersplus.com

I went with the same exact one that came from the factory, largely because (luckily?) both my dome light and led brake light were toast anyway. I looked around and couldnt find another vendor that had the exact same size / brake light in stock, so I just bit the bullet .

Yeah you gotta spend some money, but with LED's they should last many many years anyway.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
greenmonk is on a distinguished road
greenmonk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Can't you just take the topper off before going in for the inspection?
I thought about that, but unfortunately, there is no way for me to take it off or put it back on without going to a shop to have it done. Plus, I have nowhere to store it while I get the inspection done. I really wish it was that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus611 View Post
I posted a while ago I got my brake light/interior dome light combo for $50 plus shipping from truckoutfittersplus.com

I went with the same exact one that came from the factory, largely because (luckily?) both my dome light and led brake light were toast anyway. I looked around and couldnt find another vendor that had the exact same size / brake light in stock, so I just bit the bullet .

Yeah you gotta spend some money, but with LED's they should last many many years anyway.
Thanks! I'll check them out. $50 is much better than $75 if they're the same parts. Plus, the $75 was just for the brake light, no dome light included (as far as I know).

I know that the LED light will last years. My current one is the original and it's lasted 11 years now. If this new one lasts just as long, I'll be fine because I doubt I'll have my truck another 11 years.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old post, but my SnugTop shell brake light has many of the LED bulbs that have gone out, so i did some looking online and found one on Amazon for only $41.00. Not too bad. There were a couple of sites that had it for over $70. Just some info for you guys with SnugTop shells.
http://www.amazon.com/Surface-Mount-...words=led35003

Products Discussed in this Thread