LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing shifter seat and bushing.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing shifter seat and bushing.

Howdy ya'll. My manual transmission on my 96' Taco has been popping out of gear for a few years in 2nd and 3rd gears. I noticed that there's a lot of mention of the nylon shifter seat and bushing under the shift lever. I figure its a pretty simple job. But I was wondering if I'll have to replace the gaskets under there. I'm just guessing this is the problem, so I'd sort of like to investigate before I order parts and in doing so, that means taking it apart which means if there's a gasket, it'll probably be toast once I pull it.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Look around here or do a search on a short throw shift kit, it may take you to another page but there was a step by step photo gallery that showed what was involved, it would be the same-or almost the same to replace the stock set.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Well,
I went and got the seat and cap, which was around $15. It took me 30 minutes to replace. The old seat was disintegrated to bits. I Installed the new one and now the transmission shifts like butter and no longer pops out of gear. Here's another thing: The edges of the socket were kind of roughed up with burs.I filed these off. I wonder if it came like that from the factory because the tranny has never been super easy to shift. It works better than it ever has, and I've owned the truck for 13 years.

Here's a post I made showing all the steps for anyone else who might need to do this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Toyo...p_out_of_gear/
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Well,
I went and got the seat and cap, which was around $15. It took me 30 minutes to replace. The old seat was disintegrated to bits. I Installed the new one and now the transmission shifts like butter and no longer pops out of gear. Here's another thing: The edges of the socket were kind of roughed up with burs.I filed these off. I wonder if it came like that from the factory because the tranny has never been super easy to shift. It works better than it ever has, and I've owned the truck for 13 years.

Here's a post I made showing all the steps for anyone else who might need to do this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Toyo...p_out_of_gear/

Hey, I looked at the posted pictures and that seemed like a nice easy quick fix, I love thoes, was that cost a dealer item?? Or a parts house like Car Quest or O'Rileys? I want to do mine becayse it is a bit chunky from 1st to 2nd.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
gmann1sg is on a distinguished road
Army:
gmann1sg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Howdy ya'll. My manual transmission on my 96' Taco has been popping out of gear for a few years in 2nd and 3rd gears. I noticed that there's a lot of mention of the nylon shifter seat and bushing under the shift lever. I figure its a pretty simple job. But I was wondering if I'll have to replace the gaskets under there. I'm just guessing this is the problem, so I'd sort of like to investigate before I order parts and in doing so, that means taking it apart which means if there's a gasket, it'll probably be toast once I pull it.

I have been trying to get to the shiifter seat and brushing. I have taken apart everything to the point where I can see the spring and the release that you are susposed to push down and turn counter clockwise. I can only seem to push it down like a 16th of an inch. wondering if yours is this hard. The only difference is I have a 4X4 95 tacoma. Please let me know thanks... Gmann1sg
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
jinkz2u is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Jay
jinkz2u's Tacoma Gallery
2002 Toyota Tacoma R/Cab 5 speed

how to replace 02 tacoma shifter link! not that it pops out of gear but to find them...
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkz2u View Post
how to replace 02 tacoma shifter link! not that it pops out of gear but to find them...
I got my parts from Marlin Crawler, and they worked well. They also have pictures on their site; you should be able to figure out how to replace it from those pics. It wasn't a particularly difficult job.